Tile On Concrete - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

tile on concrete

I am at it again. I am going to tile the foyer in the cottage. 6'x7' space

I have chipped away (with a broom handle,)the old leveler product that they previously put down some 19 yrs ago.

There is a crack that might be from two pours (addition) and a valley of stone dust that is 6" by 6" by 4" deep in the one corner.

I have 1.5 inches to clear the bottom of the door. Insulated door so I can't shave it. I don't want to raise the door.

Should I apply a bonding agent and do a skim coat of concrete (like a scratch coat) thus filling in the voids or use a self leveler? Or fill in only the voids with concrete and then use a self leveler?

I figure 1/2" tile and 1/2" thinset and I don't have too much room to play with.

Hopefully my mentor Bud and the rest of wise gents who guided me through by summer bath project are still here.

thx
Attached Thumbnails
tile on concrete-img_2652-small-.jpg  

Advertisement

toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

tile on concrete

it appears to be only minor issues with the slap. All can be filled with the thinset when applying the Ditra which will help any cracks or movement in the concrete from transmitting into your tiles. Also helps isolate the concrete moisture.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

tile on concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
it appears to be only minor issues with the slap. All can be filled with the thinset when applying the Ditra which will help any cracks or movement in the concrete from transmitting into your tiles. Also helps isolate the concrete moisture.
Do I really need the Ditra? I was trying to save the $ it is a cottage.
toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

tile on concrete

I would use it if it were mine. But then again I want to keep living in my house and want it to remain looking good. Concrete weeps moisture from below. Concrete continues to cure for ever and cracks as it moves. Ditra will isolate the movement so the tile does not crack also.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,476

tile on concrete

just me but if bob says ' use it ! ', i sure as **** wouldn't 2nd guess him,,, then again, it IS YOUR cottage ! the usual problem w/taking the cheap route is the cost of repairing what's already been done
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

tile on concrete

add up the cost. with a 6'x7' room it isn't going to be too crazy. if it were a garage or a larger area i could totally see the cost savings argument. i'm actually going to tile my garage and just use a 1/2 trowel and versabond with whatever tile i can find on sale that fits. ditra is on ebay for 1.81 a square which is cheaper than i've seen it around here.

Advertisement

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote