Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #1

Share |

Tile Backsplash Layout Help

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a design question that I 'm hoping you can help me out with. This is the design that the wife has picked out for our backsplash.

I'm not sure where to begin and end the backsplash so I'm hoping some of the tile experts can give me some of their best practices or rules of thumb.

I attached a drawing with a kitchen layout with lettered walls.

I need some advice on how to handle the corner of walls B & C, D & E, and where to end the tile between F & G. Do I tile up to the corners? or end early and use a bullnose transition? Where would be the best place to terminate the tile run between F & G?

This is the tile layout we will be using.

Here is the kitchen scrolling from left to right.

Other side of kitchen left to right.

Thanks!

Jason

stradt03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

I tried putting the pictures directly into the post but they were MASSIVE. I hope the links aren't too cumbersome.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Tileguy

Hi Jason,

When are you starting the installation? Not enough time now, but I promise.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #4

Hi and thanks for the reply. I am still in the planning stages and working on acquiring all the necessary materials. I would say I am still a solid month out from starting the project.

Thanks again

Jason
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Tileguy

I would start with a bullnose at outside corner B/C and tile from under your top down to the base molding. If you'd rather you can tile to the end of C ending with another bullnose. Leave 1/8" space from the granite backsplash.

Note, the raised pencil liner will interfere with the receptacle covers.

Tile around the opening and the inside too. You'll need to use bullnose twice. The tile can be stopped at the height above the last full row of tiles above the bottom of the cabinets plus the bullnose, or you can tile up to the ceiling.

Continue to the left into and around the corner being sure to continue the pattern. End the tiles in line with the counter just short of the refrigerator.

Start at wall E with a bullnose in line with the contour of the top's bullnose edging. Since there is no granite backsplash on that side wall, be sure to maintain the start of the tiles in line with the top of the backsplash of the adjacent wall. Again tile up the wall until a full tile clears the wall cabinets, then add the bullnose.

Continue with wall F to include that short wall under the small piece of granite. End with bullnose in line with the contour to match other end. Continue up and over that granite and end as before in line with the contour. The height should be 1-2 rows above the bottom of the cabinets.

In case you're wondering whether to use mastic or thin set mortar, generally you can get away with mastic for backsplashes. But you're using glass, so you need a premium modified thin set mortar, and that only comes in powder form.

I'm not positive I explained everything right, if not, ax.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 03-04-2012 at 11:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Tech Dawg (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I would start with a bullnose at outside corner B/C and tile from under your top down to the base molding. If you'd rather you can tile to the end of C ending with another bullnose. Leave 1/8" space from the granite backsplash.

Note, the raised pencil liner will interfere with the receptacle covers.

Tile around the opening and the inside too. You'll need to use bullnose twice. The tile can be stopped at the height above the last full row of tiles above the bottom of the cabinets plus the bullnose, or you can tile up to the ceiling.

Continue to the left into and around the corner being sure to continue the pattern. End the tiles in line with the counter just short of the refrigerator.

Start at wall E with a bullnose in line with the contour of the top's bullnose edging. Since there is no granite backsplash on that side wall, be sure to maintain the start of the tiles in line with the top of the backsplash of the adjacent wall. Again tile up the wall until a full tile clears the wall cabinets, then add the bullnose.

Continue with wall F to include that short wall under the small piece of granite. End with bullnose in line with the contour to match other end. Continue up and over that granite and end as before in line with the contour. The height should be 1-2 rows above the bottom of the cabinets.

In case you're wondering whether to use mastic or thin set mortar, generally you can get away with mastic for backsplashes. But you're using glass, so you need a premium modified thin set mortar, and that only comes in powder form.

I'm not positive I explained everything right, if not, ax.

Jaz
I'm originally from SE Michigan also! Thanks so much for the advice.

Jason
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #7

Well here is another issue, I can't find a bullnose that matches my subway tiles. Is there any way to make your own bullnose out of the regular tiles?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Well here is another issue, I can't find a bullnose that matches my subway tiles. Is there any way to make your own bullnose out of the regular tiles?
Yes. Send me a tile and I will get you a quote.

Jaz

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan

Yes. Send me a tile and I will get you a quote.

Jaz
Ok, can you PM me your address? Does it matter that the 2x4" tiles are mesh backed?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #10

I sent two tiles out today via USPS.

Thanks for the help!