Tile Backsplash - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile backsplash

Hey all I am getting ready to start my backsplash need some ideas as you can see the tile is not smooth just wondering the best way to install around outlets. To make the covers look correct. Then what is the best way to grout this. Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile backsplash-image.jpg  

Advertisement

flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Tile backsplash

I dont see am easy solution for you either way with the tile surface being what it is. If the gaps between the outlet cover and tile are bothering you, then you can caulk around them to fill these gaps. Depending on the grout product you go with they also sell a colour matching grout calking. Use green painters tape along the edges of the tile and cover plate to produce a staright caulk line when the tape is removed. Do this when the grout has had trime to cure approx 48-72hrs. The grout will just be a pain to do, no simple solution here. What I have done in the past and has worked is to apply the grount with your hands and not a grout float. It makes getting into the nooks and crannies a little easier, just make sure you get a pair of gloves!! Good Luck

Advertisement

Hardwood Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Tile backsplash

First - that is FANTASTIC tile! Where is it from??

After my bathroom tile headache, I would suggest you self-grout the tiles. When you install them let the stuff you bed them in push up between them and it turns in to your grout. This is what the installer said I should have done when I finally called in a pro to help me fix my mess.

As for the outlets, can you purchase half tiles from the manufacturer? How would you cut the curved ones??

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

Tile backsplash

What is the benefit of half tiles and why is this even mentioned? I dont think letting the mortar squeeze through the tiles is a good idea at all, this will be a complete mess and cause more headache then applying grout by hand.

Last edited by Hardwood Head; 11-13-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tile backsplash

Cool tiles!

If all else fails, read the directions.
What does the manufacturer recommend?
They may have a website that explains all.
It is possible they may say no grout at all.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Tile backsplash

What is the benefit of half tiles? There is no way to cut a hole for a receptacle without ends up with at least two of the rectangular tiles cut in half. I have no idea how you would cut those tiles and get a smooth result.

In regards to the "self grouting" that was the advice I got from a professional who has been installing tile for literally 40 years for a small shop in a good sized city. If he didn't know his stuff he wouldn't be working there anymore. I don't see how it would be "messier" than putting grout on. But I haven't done it because I never want to deal with little tiles again!

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #7

Tile backsplash

Your installer who has 40years experience I'm sure would have no problem keeping the mess to a minimum but as the post was send by a DIY'er I am sure there level are quite different. You can cut out for outlets in center of tiles with the use of a grinder with a diamond blade, they can be purchased for under $20.00
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,460

Tile backsplash

I would cut this with an angle grinder and a fine diamond wheel blade.

I can't see the tile from all angles like you can, but have you considered no grout? That of course would require no thinset either, because that would look pretty bad. In other words, something like SimpleMat. But of course, if your backsplash is actually going to get splashed a lot, this might not be a good idea either (it's intended to be used when grouted over.)

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote