Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #1

Share |

Thinset too thin

I just finished putting 2 x 2 tiles on the face of our fireplace. I only had a small area left so I didn't mix the whole bag of thinset. I am using the mapei porcelain tile mortar which is what they told me to use at Lowes because of the heat from the fireplace.
They are all staying put at this point. The mortar was a little thin but the ridges from the trowel were still standing on their own. If I let this dry longer than recommended will the bond still be enough to hold the tiles on the wall? Just wondered.

I also had one side front of the fireplace that was a little narrower at the bottom than the top so I had to put extra thinset on the inside area of tiles that wrap into the fireplace to even this up. This could take longer to dry because it is thicker. Will the bond still be good?

Thanks!

gigisews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
DIY staff

Thinset too thin

Without seeing your backing or technique---that is a hard question to answer-----

Time will tell----

Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

Thinset too thin

we had the bricks skim coated when we had new gas inserts put into the fireplaces. I back buttered the remaining small tiles to go on. They seem to be pretty hard this morning so I think it is going to be OK. Thanks for the reply
gigisews is offline   Reply With Quote