DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is thinset always necessary?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
I am getting my bathroom floors tiled (used to have linoleum). My contractor used nails and screwtight screws to set the hardiback board to the subfloor, without using any thinset. He told me that in new construction/newer subfloors, he would apply thinset, but that my subfloor would not absorb thinset (my house is 22 years old). If he applied thinset, it would eventually dry and crack as we walked on our floors. Is this correct or am I being told a load of garbage?

#2 ·
imo it's a load. the reason you put thinset under hardi isn't for stickum it's to prevent poping/flex you can get without it. floors are often uneven and on top of that when you screw down hardi some pokes through the back giving you slight lifted up effect. the thinset gives the hardi a solid uniform surface to sit on that's free of air pockets and high/lows.

#3 ·
Load of crap---Like racebum said the purpose of the thinset is to fill void and prevent hollow spots.

Durrock is very forgiving ---it is soft enough that it will conform to the contours of a sub floor.

Hardi on the other hand is stiff and springy----it really needs to have a void filler under it.

Sorry-----Mike--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.