Thinking About In Floor Heat... - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Thinking about in floor heat...

I'm remodeling a bath down to the subfloor. I'll be installing tile in the process.

I'm considering adding in floor heat, but haven't brought myself to pull the trigger on it yet. I'm hoping for some advice on whether or not to bother and if so, on the install.

The area under the floor is a crawlspace - currently un-insulated. The floor is cold. It will eventually be insulated, but not now. I did add a 500w infrared heat lamp in the ceiling.

There is a minimal amount of sq footage. The bathroom itself is a little about 5' x 10'. The bath is Free Standing Tub/Shower combo.

I've done 2 small tile jobs and will be doing this all myself.

Here are my concerns:
  • The floor is flat and level now. I don't want to add SLC because of added height and cost.
  • I've read that thinsetting over the wire is difficult.
  • I'm not sure if I'll tile all the way under the tub, or tile just under the flange and use ext grade plywood to level to the tile. If I do tile all the way, would heating the tile under the tub unit make for a nice warm tub floor, or be a fire hazard?
  • Will the heat lamps be plenty for making the floor warm enough? Am I just wasting time & money on the tile heat?
I'm considering a really cheap wire system if I just do the walking area in front of the fixtures. I'd probably use mats if I do under the tub as well.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about in floor heat...-rought_oh.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote