Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Share |

thin-sets

any one know, can you mix modified with un-modified thinset. I have a 50lb. bag of un-modified that i,m using to apply Kerdi with in my new corner shower before i tile it and was planning on using it on the floor for the tile there, but I;m guessing i wont have quite enough to do the whole bathroom floor. i have partly used bag of modified thin-set as well (about 20lb,s) and i thought i might just mix a bit in with every batch of un-modified i mix when i get to the floor. And I;m tiling on a bed of self leveling concrete I poured to flatten things out. also planning on applying a bonding agent to it before i lay down the thin-set. Any advice?

prehberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #2

thin-sets

I wouldn't, thinset is cheap, go pick up a fresh bag of what you need.

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Tileguy

thin-sets

I think it would be OK to blend the two thin sets. But once open, thin set has a short life span, so unless it's new don't use it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #4

thin-sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I think it would be OK to blend the two thin sets. But once open, thin set has a short life span, so unless it's new don't use it.

Jaz
both bags are new, a few days open. using them this week. used a bit of mixed to fill a little gap in the back corner of my corner shower where my cut of the durock went a bit askew (oops!!) to make smooth corner for the kerdi band.seems to be okay. i am using the non-modified thinset for applying the kerdi over the durock and to adhere the tile to the kerdi. just thought if i was a little short when i got to the tiling of the floor i could mix in a bit of the modified to make up the shortage. i know they have slightly different curing times but wouldnt be going near the floor once tiled for a good 24hrs to make sure everything was hard. another thought. as a opposed to mixing, what about using both on the same surface, if i was to run out of one could I switch to the other on the same floor? what would the difference be once i've grouted, once set up there both basically the same thing, hardened thinset.
prehberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

thin-sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post

Jaz
Wow - glad I read this!
I was planning on using up thinset that I opened 3 years ago.

OP - yes, it's pretty cheap - I wouldn't try to mix them together and bet time and tiles on it . . . just buy a new bag.