Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Thin set right on the painted wall?

I have never tiled a wall before, and was wondering if I would just put the thinset right on the painted wall or do I need to prep the wall in any way?

I am laying glass tiles behind the pedestal sink in the bathroom. I am covering an area of 2 feet by 8 feet.

Thanks very much.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi Mummy,

Nice to see you again. Thin set will bond fine to painted walls. Just do the normal prep and add sanding the wall to give the thin set a little more bite.

Be sure to use the proper thin set for those glass tiles. What do you have?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi Mummy,

Nice to see you again. Thin set will bond fine to painted walls. Just do the normal prep and add sanding the wall to give the thin set a little more bite.

Be sure to use the proper thin set for those glass tiles. What do you have?

Jaz
Nice to see you here too jazman, giving your expert advice.

Thank you for your help. I am going to use mapei thinset for glass mosaic tiles, which is what I am installing. It is white, and I am using a 3/16 inch v notch trowel, (did I use the right technical term.....) as per Bud's advice. I could not find the 1/8 inch square notch trowel, so I went with his second choice.

Is it just my tiles, or are these mosaic tiles not exactly placed straight. What I mean is, the space inbetween the small one inch tiles is not exactly the same on all of the tiles.

Thanks again jazman.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

They're not gonna be mounted perfectly, part of the charm. Are the tiles mesh mounted, paper faced or ? Are the tiles translucent or opaque? You can't go wrong with Bud's 2nd choice.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote