Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Share |

Thershold or something else??

Hello all,
Ivory travertine 12x12 cut at/for threshold. Hardwood was installed prior to tile. I can't find a threshold to match this tile.. Any ideas

Thanks!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Thershold or something else??-image-1425594790.jpg  

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

You weren't going to install a marble threshold over that, were you? Hope not.

Somebody didn't plan ahead, but now to correct it. Remove that one strip of hardwood and install plywood and then the same tile backer you used under the tiles. You can then install a threshold if you find one that looks right, or cut tiles and offset them. Finish with a metal tile edging under the tiles on the hall side.

What's under those tiles? Did anyone check the joists to make sure they're stiff enough for natural stone tiles?

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Thershold or something else??-100_1164.jpg  

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

Threshold was suppost to go in first and floors ran up to it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #4

Jazman,
Ya planning was Beyond poor on my part..
You have helped me before, thanks! The subfloor is advantac over that is a skim coated and then screwed 1/2 hardibacker then stone.

I love your fix... I'm looking for threshold but your remedy might work as well!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

To late now but the advantec was suppost to be cut in sort of a Tee shape to cover up that gap not just installed straight along the wall.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Actually Joe this a full second floor addition, it is offset in a t style. That hardwood was original it only goes another 2 inches under the stone. It was a cape cod and had tongue and groove hardwood on 2nd floor over an inch thick I had to sand to match the 3/4 advtech. Anyway it's beyond sound.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Tileguy

Chip,

If your subfloor consists of a single layer of 3/4" plus the Hardie 500, you are not up to speed for natural stone. I supposed no one check if the joists meet L720 specs either.

Oh well, it could work, you'll know in 5-10 years.

Oh, just noticed. What do you mean by skim coated and then screwed Hardie 1/2" ?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #8

This really doesn't have anything to do with the threshold but the 2nd floor has a 2 ft candlelever. standard is 2 ft hang 4 ft back I took it 8 ft back to cover the bathroom floor so all joist are sister'd with a 2x10. Glued and bolted thru. On top of the double joists, is mostly 3/4 advatac the last 5 inches it buts to the old hardwood floor. Ovetop the advatac, is a thin layer of thinset then 1/2 hardi. Screwed as instructed ever 4-6. Then 1/4 thinset, then stone. I know the floor will hold. Local inspector said it was overkill, u tim I told him what I had planned and I have a kohl cast iron tub as well. But thanks again
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Tileguy

Sistered joists was probably necessary to make the joists L720 or better for the natural stone anyway, so good. But the subfloor for natural stone must have a double layer of structural ply or OSB, with the CBU or membrane on top. So if you only have a single 3/4" Advantech you're not good for stone. Good enough for ceramic though.

In the end it might still work, too late now though.

Quote:
Local inspector said it was overkill
Local inspector either didn't know you were installing natural stone tiles, or doesn't know specs for tiled floors.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-08-2013)