Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Temporary transition - tile to vinyl

I just finished a renovation project. As seen in the photo, the renovated space is tiled with porcelain and the existing space is some sort of stick down tile (vinyl?).

We plan to tile the rest of the house in a few years and I'd like to place a temporary transition (the tile ends under the door to receive the future tile).

My idea is to use floor float to bring the concrete strip level (and smooth) to the existing stick down tile (which seems to have been placed over a previous floor...house is circa 1964). Then, I'll have an oak transition milled to go from the porcelain to the stick down, using some sort of adhesive that will hold well but will let go when I want it to. I'll use matching sanded caulk between the transition and the porcelain and just caulk at the stick down.

• Can the floor float be removed when I'm ready to thinset and tile?

• What adhesive would work well?

• Is there a sill made that will serve my purpose (around 5" between floors...I don't want an entry door type of sill)?

Does this plan sound viable or does someone have a better idea?

Thanks for any input.

Bob

Temporary transition - tile to vinyl-tile-transition-img_9989.jpg

Last edited by Bob...; 05-19-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Bob... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Your going to have to have a saddle in that doorway like marble when time comes or... a control joint between the tiles.
For now chizzle and get that adhesive up and cleaned out don't skim coat it. Then for temporary get a strip of pine 1"x how ever wide the door is and router the sides to be rounded and screw it down is what I would do for temporary.

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JetSwet For This Useful Post:
Bob... (05-20-2013), oh'mike (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Yep, as Jetsweat suggested---clean up the door way with a chisel and then make a full width 'saddle'

Choice of wood is up to your budget---you might even find something milled to the correct thickness at your local store----sanding can be used to round over the edge if you don't have a router--

Liquid nails could be used instead of nails--but removing it becomes more work---
Bob... (05-20-2013), JetSwet (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses, Oh'mike and JetSwet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Your going to have to have a saddle in that doorway like marble when time comes or... a control joint between the tiles.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean i.e., "like marble or control joint". Are you referring to when we tile the rest of the house? If so, I assumed that the two tiles would meet under the door, since they will be different styles (which is why I had them end the tile at that point...bad idea?).

Quote:
For now chizzle and get that adhesive up and cleaned out don't skim coat it. Then for temporary get a strip of pine 1"x how ever wide the door is and router the sides to be rounded and screw it down is what I would do for temporary.
It's not adhesive, it's thinset on concrete, and the concrete is a bit rough and chipped. Screwing it down sounds like the way to go, but I'd be worried about chipping out the thinset flush to the tile...should I be? Apologies for not providing more detail in my OP.

This was originally a doorway to a garage, which I enclosed and had concrete poured to bring the floor level equal to the rest of the house.

I was hoping for some sort of low profile transition like one sees in flooring stores (but they all seem to be only a few inches rather than the 5' I need), and since the thickness would only be about 3/8" <> between floor heights, assumed that I would go with oak and have it milled to spec since it would be would be hard and attractive.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Bob...; 05-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Another thought, but if I were to cut tile pieces to cover the concrete and then use say, a marble transition, would that be best, or would I be asking for trouble trying to get it up later when I'm ready to tile the rest of the house? The grout is epoxy.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

For a temporary finished transition ,wood is easiest----Marble will need to be destroyed to remove it---

Screwing it down will work--but with the rough surface, it might be easier to bed it into some adhesive and tape it until the glue sets----

Bob... (05-21-2013)