Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

"Temporary" tile job?

Due to a slab leak we are re-doing our powder room. We have picked out a very "hip" porcelain tile, that will really make the small bath "pop."
We are on a slab foundation, and there is bare slab in the powder room.

Outside the powder room, we have Saltillo tile, which is much thicker than the porcelain we want to use in the powder room. Eventually, we want to replace the Saltillo tile, probably with more porcelain tile, but probably not the same as we are using in the powder room, since that tile is a bit too "hip" for the main part of the house.

Questions:
First, is there a way to put down a tile floor so that it is solid, but if it needs to be redone, it can be removed without massive effort? (we may want to change out the powder room tile when we decide to replace the Saltillo) Would using Ditra ease our removal challenge?

Second, is it bad form to have the powder room tile slightly lower than the Saltillo tile in the hallway? Does Ditra increase the height of the install?

Third, what is used to transition these different tiles (Saltillo and porcelain)? A strip of the powder room tile? Or something different altogether?

Fourth, do we need to remove the bottom of the drywall to tile the bath? It used to have carpet, and has some baseboards that I will remove. But I'm not sure how close I'm supposed to go to the drywall, or if I'm supposed to go under the drywall.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by M3 Pete; 02-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
long island, NY

"Temporary" tile job?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a pro... just a DIY'er with decent tiling experience....

I'm not so sure that ditra will improve the ease of removal Tile is a PIA to remove... if you're certain you intend to remove it in a few years, maybe choose a different flooring type that is easier to remove?

Maybe I'm just a sloppy non-pro, but I honestly believe that if you put a marble threshold between the two rooms, you would barely notice the 1/4" difference between floors.... and of course ditra adds a bit to the height... not sure of the average amount... probably between 1/8 and 1/4"... so the difference would likely be between 0-1/8".

Not sure if I understand the drywall question. Generally, you're tiling to the wall and then replacing the baseboard.

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 80

"Temporary" tile job?

Since it's temporary I'd use something like Allour flooring it's sold in Home Depot. Looks like tile but does not get glued directly to the floor and is very water resistant.
Simple to install with just a pair of tin snips.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

"Temporary" tile job?

I gather that display rooms are laid on roofing paper. I'm not sure how well this holds up, but hopefully you'll let us know.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

"Temporary" tile job?

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/...panel_2010.pdf
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Just a DIY guy

"Temporary" tile job?

thanks for the responses. I will probably just tile it up and hope we do not change it later.

Just to confirm, you drywall first, then tile up to the drywall, then put on your base molding (baseboards), right?

Or do you put on the baseboards and tile up to them?

M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote