Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor Flex

Hi everybody! I just finished ripping up all the old vinyl tile from my kitchen floor. There has been a long crack in it steadily worsening since I bought the apartment, and I'm finally replacing it with ceramic.
I discovered when I got it up that the reason for the crack is that the plywood subfloor was badly installed. The seam of the two sheets that make up the kitchen floor is directly between two joists, allowing a fair amount of flex.
If I use 1/2 inch backer board, can I install the tile over the flex, or will it still eventually crack?
Is there a way to fix this without replacing or patching the subfloor?
If I lay down some luan before the backer would that work?
Since it is an apartment, I hesitate to replace the subfloor itself.

spaceoperaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,338

Subfloor Flex

Got permission from the landlord to do this!
No particle board or 1/4 plywood is ever used under a tile floor.
Were going to need to know the unsupported spans, widths and spacing of the floor joist and thickness of subfloor and underlayment to even make a guess.
And no, 1/2 tile board does nothing to add strength and any tile board can not have gaps under it.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Subfloor Flex

No landlord, I own an apartment in a building. As long as I don't get into structural elements I don't need to go through the management company.
That said, the more I investigate the floor the more I think the subfloor will need to be replaced, or at least the section under where the tile will be. There was no underlayment beneath the old vinyl tile(non-asbestos, we had it tested). It was glued down straight to the subfloor. I'll check out the joist spacing and thickness of the plywood and post it tomorrow. The whole kitchen is about 8' square. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceoperaman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-07-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #4

Subfloor Flex

Thanks for the input, we're ending up bringing someone in to replace the subfloor.