Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Share |

Stupid bathroom floor question

I am getting ready to redo my upstairs bathroom and will be doing a tile shower and tile floor. My stupid question is since I am replacing my toilet and vanity, should I install the new stuff before or after the floor is laid ???
lylesvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
the Musigician

I'd recommend floor first. also....there are no stupid questions on this forum, only stupid answers.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DangerMouse For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Not sure how you would do that when the tile goes under all of them.
Start at the ceiling and work your way down.
There can not be anything in the room while your working, including baseboards.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure how you would do that when the tile goes under all of them.
Start at the ceiling and work your way down.
There can not be anything in the room while your working, including baseboards.
Yeah, I just was not sure if it was ok to tile around the toilet and vanity... Thanks for the replies.....
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

Nope never.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Tileguy

It's perfectly ok to tile around a vanity, but not the toilet. Only tile around a vanity if you're keeping the old one of course.

Tell us more about this project. Are you gonna do it yourself or hire someone? Either way start researching because showers are not easy to build right and even many people you can hire do them wrong.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

I personaly would never tile around a vanty for a few reasons.
At some point if someone wants to change the vanity there's going to be a bare area.
If anything leaks under that sink, or the toilet over flows you just left a pond for the water to pool up under the vanity.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #8

Someone should make some tracings of their feet, and tile up to some footprints coming into the bathroom, then go back and fill in the footprint with a contrasting tile.

Would look cool with some baby footprints from the children in the family.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylesvegas View Post
Yeah, I just was not sure if it was ok to tile around the toilet and vanity... Thanks for the replies.....
Tiling around the toilet is horrible. Tiling around the vanity is no problem and often done. Still I prefer tiling under that too. That way if it ever changes you'll have no issue. Imagine going to a pedestal sink some day.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
It's perfectly ok to tile around a vanity, but not the toilet. Only tile around a vanity if you're keeping the old one of course.

Tell us more about this project. Are you gonna do it yourself or hire someone? Either way start researching because showers are not easy to build right and even many people you can hire do them wrong.

Jaz
Thanks for asking JazMan, It is my tiny bathroom that will be completely updated with a new tile walk in shower, new vanity, new toilet, new lighting, and a tile floor. After much debate with the wife and talking with the very nice gentleman at the tile store we decided to "maybe" hire them. Now I did alot of research in the past few weeks so when we went in the store I kind of knew some things to ask about.
I know I want to go with 13x13 on the shower walls, 2x2 on the shower floor and 20x20 on the bathroom floor. I've decided to buy everything to do the bathroom as I my wallet allows me and then make the final choice if I do it or them. I will certainly demo the room myself .... Here are some current pics of it now....
Attached Thumbnails
Stupid bathroom floor question-img_0863.jpg   Stupid bathroom floor question-img_0861.jpg   Stupid bathroom floor question-img_0865.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

I would leave the tub, maybe the toilet, but toss the vanity. Look also as to what people are doing with their places around you. Are they going with Porcelain, Ceramic, or Natural stone for floors. Also are they going with Granite sink & counter integrated, or the composite like you have currently.

Same goes for Kitchens, what are they doing in your area, especially if a sell is in the near future, or people are trying to turn the neighborhood around, to make it a place that attracts others that are looking to settle there, vs. having people continue to move out. There is a lot to be desired when making upgrades to your home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #12

Thanks Gregzoll but I am in love with a porcelain walk in shower. I find myself looking at other people's everyday !!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Tileguy

Aside from quality workmanship, the method for waterproofing in most important. I recommend doing surface waterproofing instead of the old traditional method. I think the best is Kerdi, but now there are others like Laticrete. Liquid applied waterproofing is good too.

Research all the methods, also look here; http://picasaweb.google.com/10143435...DAQozljiq8sCTg

I would not buy anything unless I was gonna do all the work. Why pay retail for materials if you're gonna hire a contractor who can buy it for less? Let the tile setter figure, buy, deliver and be responsible. If you buy stuff and it's wrong or bad, you have to straighten it out while the meter runs. Of course I would also not buy from a retail store. I'd find a qualified licensed tile setter and sit back.

Quote:
Thanks Gregzoll but I am in love with a porcelain walk in shower. I find myself looking at other people's everyday !!!!
Be sure you do not look from the window, ask to go inside!

Be sure to check back here with any questions.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Look also as to what people are doing with their places around you.
A rule of thumb is to match the quality/cost of the neighboring homes. I'd say you should do at least that. When all the homes have vinyl in the bathroom, for example, it's a relatively inexpensive way to stand out from them by installing tile.

The idea can be overdone, but for some things it's a good idea.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
When all the homes have vinyl in the bathroom, for example, it's a relatively inexpensive way to stand out from them by installing tile.
I thought you were gonna say, "When all the homes have vinyl in the bathroom, for example, It's time to move"

Jaz