Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Share |

sticky situation..

hi - i have an entryway which is approx 3 feet by 5 feet (extremely small). I would like to install unglazed ceramic hexagon tiles. Someone used the peel and stick tiles which i removed but they also added what looks to be contact cement which is quite sticky on top of a thin plywood subfloor. This is a 1885 house and even with the plywood, the floor dips very slightly in the center. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to make the area ready for the 1/4 inch hardibacker board? Do i install it with screws over the plywood and then use self-leveling? Or is it possible to put mortar down on top of the sticky contact cement and then the hardibacker on top of that? I have looked all over the web and have not seen anything that really applies - it is not hard and it is not black, it is clear and gooey
Thanks for any advice!
-mateo

mateolola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Tileguy

sticky situation..

Ciao Mateo, welcome,

The first step is to remove any 1/4" ply as it is not compatible in a tile installation even when covered with concrete backer. That 1/4" might be luaun, it delaminates easily with moisture and adds no strength. It's probably stapled although it might be nailed.

Once you're down to the subfloor, let us know what it is and how many layers if more than one. Also check the joists, tell us about them.

You may need to add some structural ply depending on what you find.

Once I know the base is adequate, the rest will be straight forward. Step one for now though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

sticky situation..

Hi Jaz,

thanks for your reply! I removed the luaun (which was screwed down with drywall screws and glued down with liquid nails) and am now down to the original yellow pine flooring. I was able to look at the joists from the basement below where some of the plaster had been removed - and like any old house, it varies a bit. the joists are 2 inches thick, anywhere from 9.75 - 10 inches high and anywhere from 15-16 inches on center.

I don't have a huge amount of clearance with the 2 front doors and 2 inner entry doors - so at this point can i attach the 1/4 hardi backer board right to the floor - or, do i get an exterior grade piece of plywood and tile right on top of that?

Also - i checked and the floor seems flat - no more dip!

thanks for any info you could provide!
-mateo
mateolola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Tileguy

sticky situation..

Mateo,

You can NOT install any backer board direct on plank subfloor, you need plywood underlayment. Are the planks t&g? Perfect condition, fair? You can NOT use 1/4" ply, way too thin. Depending to the planks and their condition You should go with 1/2" or thicker. Then 1/4" concrete backer or you could go with Ditra which adds a total of 1/8 only.

Alternatively you might consider removing the planks and installing 3/4" plywood subfloor. If that is done right you can install any 1/4" backer and then ceramic tiles without a second sheet of plywood.

Interior doors are easily cut, exterior doors are a little more work.

Quote:
or, do i get an exterior grade piece of plywood and tile right on top of that?
I definitely wouldn't do that, high failure rate. How much clearance do you have to the exterior doors?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive residue, ceramic tile, contact cement, floor