Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

steps for water proofing shower

hi,
We are in the middle of an unexpected re-model. After just 2 years, we have had significant water damage in our master bath are re-doing it. I am very paranoid given that we are having to do this in a short period.
My contractor is doing the following steps:

*Put the plywood on the shower stall floor.
*Then added like a plastic on the surrounding walls.
*Put up cement backer board on the walls and on the floor in the rest of the bathroom. They are nailed pretty close to each other.
No gaps what soever.

*On the floor of the stall he has put some PVC layer and wrapped it around the raised edges of the shower.
*He then poured mortar on the PVC in the shower floor and is creating a slope towards the drain.

I suppose he will be installing the dietra (orange color ) water proofing membrane on all surfaces in the bathroom ( floor, raised edge around shower stall and on the walls and on the bench ( good bench).

Can he apply the dietra directly on the mortar? When shoould he use the thin set? He has bought only regular thin set? Please advice re: steps so far. I hope he has not done too much to cause moisture to be trapped under in the shower. I will appreciate answers from all who have experience in completing this project. I don't want to throw money down the drain again.
thanks in advance for your responses
Raji

rvattyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi Raji,

If the work is being done as you've described....you are throwing $$$ down the drain again.

Why did you wait until work started before you became concerned? You still don't seen to know what or how the work will be done. You mentioned "dietra" (Ditra), I doubt the contractor will be using Ditra in the shower in any way. It also sounds like he is not doing a Kerdi shower either. Sounds like a standard shower job with several mistakes. Maybe the wrong tile setter?

Go here to see how a "standard" shower is built; http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Go to my photo albums to learn how a waterproof & watertight Kerdi shower is built; http://picasaweb.google.com/tile4youinc

For consulting about how showers are built have the contractor (or you) contact me.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It is a kerdi membrane and not ditra my mistake. I checked out the photos posted by you on picasa web. Can you be specific as to where he went wrong. Is it wrong to put a PVC lining on cement backer board and adding the layer of mortar on it when going the kerdi route? Is'nt more the merrier in terms of protection? ( cement board, PVC lining and then the kerdi membrane) Please correct me if I am wrong. The project isn't complete yet and I can still correct the wrongs. He has'nt laid the kerdi membrane yet? I believe he will be using regular thin set to do it.

Thanks again for your reply and hope to learn from previous mistakes.
rvattyam is offline   Reply With Quote