Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Starting a "hopscotch" pattern...

Attached is a copy of the tile pattern and a breif layout of the bathroom I am remodeling.

I want to put the "hopscotch" pattern on the floor, but dont know where to begin. Visually speaking, it would probably look best to have full or near full tiles in the doorway and along the shower/tub. If there needs to be small cut tiles, they can go on the back and right walls.

I am guessing i need to make "guide lines" as with other tile projects, to ensure that the tiles/grout lines appear straight and in line ?!?!?.

I have never tiled before and thought I could figure this out......I guess some HELP is needed at this point......

Thanks,

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hopscotch.doc (68.0 KB, 1043 views)

shaggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #2

you will likely need 2 guide lines to start your pattern.
I did my best with the image. Hopefully you see what I mean.

I would start the pattern at the left hand side of the door so there is a straight line along the shower and the door, leaving any cut tile behind the Lav and the vanity.
Attached Images

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #3

So to make the guide lines, do I just measure "x" inches from wall in sseveral places and chalk the marks together ?? Do I do a dry run and mark the floor at the edge of the tiles ??

I get the idea of guide lines....just not sure how to make them....
shaggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It may be overkill for you but there are free tile layout programs available online. You scale the room and then the programs help you fit the tiles in whatever pattern you want. Just transfer the layout lines from the finished plan to the floor when done. I think I remember that they even recommend your exact starting point?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Tileguy

Unfortunately more than two layout lines won't help much because this pattern won't repeat in about fifteen feet I don't think.

One line paralleling the tub/shower wall and one more line perpendicular to that first line (near the back of the room) is all that is required. These two lines become your "base lines". Once those lines are laid down and verified you can start deep in the room abiding by both lines. As you progress across the room use a tape measure and a framing square to keep yourself on course. It's pretty easy. As you lay tile and progress remember to verify verify verify as you go.

Lay out some tiles dry to determine exactly where your base lines will best serve you before you mark them.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #6

If the tile doesn't repeat...what are you verifying in reference to the snapped lines?
joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Tileguy

Joe why are you asking? This is a two-year old thread you have joined. Are you doing the same thing? Why not start your own new thread if so?