Staggered End Joints For Slate Tiles? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Staggered end joints for slate tiles?

I was wondering if it is a style to do staggered end joints with 16x16 slate tiles? Just like doing laminate or wood floors where you take the remainder of the last cut from the last row to start the next row. That way i would save a lot of wasted tiles. It would look somewhat similar to brickstyle

Advertisement

elias22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

It is called a Brick Pattern. You still have some waste, due to it all depends on the width of the room.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

Is the brick pattern setup almost exactly the same way as sttaggered end joints?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias22 View Post
Is the brick pattern setup almost exactly the same way as sttaggered end joints?
Why are you doubting or repeating. These are the following patterns that are used: Grid, Diamond, Brick, Hopscotch, Stepping, Divisible, Corridor, Grid with Dot, Hexagon, Basketweave, Plaid, Offset, Windmill, Herringbone.

The most common ones used are Grid & Brick, those two can be also set at a 45 angle also. Do not know why you keep asking about staggered end joints. You already answered your question by stating that Brick Pattern, but stated as "brickstyle", which is not what it is called.

Here is some examples of various Tile patterns, knock yourself out http://www.houzz.com/staggered-joint-tile and some of the more common ones http://www.thetilefiles.com/Patterns.html If you want a online tile pattern layout tool, there is http://www.ceramic-tile-floor.info/c...oor/index.html
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Because brick pattern creates "H" looking pattern. What im talking aboutisa more random pattern like wood floors and i was wondering if anyone has done that with tile? I know they do it with wood looking tile. But what about square slate tiles?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias22 View Post
Because brick pattern creates "H" looking pattern. What im talking aboutisa more random pattern like wood floors and i was wondering if anyone has done that with tile? I know they do it with wood looking tile. But what about square slate tiles?
Yes they do wood type pattern on tile, but the tile is still rectangle in shape. You would lay it out in a Brick type pattern.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 564

It might look sloppy or haphazard. If you have the tile, do a dry layout. If not, use squares of paper or cardboard.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,548

The random "wood flooring" style you're talking about is not a brick pattern. You can Google and click the Image tab, and I doubt you will see any that you're talking about.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tile...w=1461&bih=950

Having said that, I personally don't think your idea will work well with square tiles. The concept will just be lost. Click on the Images tab for this Google link and I think you'll see some tile shapes that it would be much more appropriate for.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tile...w=1461&bih=950
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

jeffnc, the patterns you linked are all "Brick" pattern. Unless the OP purchases varied lengths of tile for random lengths, which would be a lot more work, then yes it would look as if you did a wood floor.

My wife and I have been looking at the Tile that looks like wood for our Kitchen floor. In the past couple of years, it has gotten to the point that you cannot tell the difference between it and actual wood product, due to how good they are getting with the glazing of the pattern on the tile, during the production process.

Advertisement