Some Uneven Spots On Backer Board - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Some uneven spots on backer board

i am laying 20"x20" Porcelain tile. I dry laid the tile last night to see how my measurements added up. I have a few spots that are not level where the tile "teeters". The room is my kitchen and approximately 250 square feet. There are only a few spots that are not completely flat. I dont even want to think about put a piece of tile that big on an unflat surface. My questions is can i just hit the unflat spots of the backer board with a belt sander? I used the more exspensive HardiBacker backer board and I joint sealed them with thinset. i am only talking about three or four tiles that are teetering.

Advertisement

scotte1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Hi Scotte,

First question; Did you install the Hardie into fresh thin set mortar? You didn't mention tape on the seams either.

You can sand it lightly, BUT it is a dangerous thing to do. Hardie would not approve. The stuff contains silica which is not good for your health if you like breathing. I recommend you consider an alternative to sanding if possible.

Large tiles like that require a very flat floor. Laying them as you did does not tell you how flat the floor is except within each individual unit. You need to check with a long straight edge, string or laser. You want it to be; within 1/8" in 10 ft., and 1/16" in 12" of the required plane.

Quote:
I used the more exspensive HardiBacker backer
Which one is that? The 1/4" is for floors, 1/2", walls or floors if you want the height. The 1/4" is actually stronger.

So, get back about the thin set under the Hardie and seams. What specific brand of thin set will you be using to set the tiles? What size trowel do you have? Also remember the tiles will have an inherent amount of warpage to them. How old is the house and did you check the framing & subfloor to make sure it'll support tiles and the extra weight?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

thanks Jaz for the reply:

The house was built in 2006. I am using a premixed thinset that I purchased at Lowe's so that I would get the same consistency throught the entire installation. I did use the 1/4" Hardi Backer Boards. Maybe i should just get a bag of self leveling concrete? If so what is good?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
I am using a premixed thinset
NO NO NO! Take that garbage back!

Quote:
Maybe i should just get a bag of self leveling concrete?
Ah...........NO. Self leveling will require raising everything until it's level. You don't necessarily have to have "level", You need "flat". Level might require 1/2"-3/4" or? Level and flat is ideal, but not always possible.

How about thin set under the Hardie?

BTW, FYI, pre-mixed "thinset" is a lie. Thin set mortar, by definition, is made with Portland cement. You can not store mixed Portland, it'l harden in a short time. What you bought is mastic, which is the worst and also the most expensive adhesive. it will never fully harden, plus it can return to mush if it gets wet. Bad stuff.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

WELL CRAP! THOUGHT I WAS DOING SOMETHING GOOD. lol
Old 02-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Tileguy

We need to start this thread from the beginning. I,m sure your framing meets min. requirements since it was built in '06, but it's good to start there. It also gives us a visual of how your framing is built since we are not there.

Type and size of joists, species and grade, spacing, unsupported span. Type and thickness of subfloor sheet and how many.

Jaz

Advertisement