Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

snapping/breaking 18" porcelain in diagonal

I am wanting to lay 18" tile on a diagonal. I have a tile snapper that is 19" long and will snap an 18" tile square, but is not big enough to score and snap on a diagonal. Short of spending $400-$500 on a huge tile wet saw, could I use a straight edge and manually score the diagonal by hand using some sort of hand tool, and then snap the tile?

I have a wet saw with a 7" blade and have thought about just feeding the tiles through the saw but I am afraid that the corners will chip...

stankholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,426

Quote:
could I use a straight edge and manually score the diagonal by hand using some sort of hand tool, and then snap the tile?
N-n-n-nope! Not at all very likely that's going to go good.

Rent the proper wet saw.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Do you think my wet saw with a 7" blade will cut them ok? I think the table for the saw is designed for 12" tiles but I dont see any reason why I couldnt just keep feeding the tile through?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Tileguy

How much room do you have between the motor support post and the blade? Assuming the motor is overhead and not under the table.

That tile is going to measure about 25-1/2" diagonally so you will need about 13" minimum clearance.

Which 7" inch wet saw do you have?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

Thanks Bud for replying to my posts!! The wet saw we have is a QEP brand 7" Tile Wet Saw. The motor is mounted below. It looks like in theory, we COULD just keep feeding the tile through without any obstructions...

I've only cut ceramic before and I hear that porcelain is a little bit harder to cut. Do you think we will have issues cutting porcelain with this saw?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Tileguy

Porcelain is a form of ceramic tile and it is (most times) much harder than garden variety ceramic tile. Try it and see what happens. Q.E.P. isn't one of the toughest saws and some diamond blades are China-trash, all you can do is try it.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

I did a diagonal pattern on my bathroom floor with porcelain: while my tiles weren't quite the big though - I had an under-mount (the motor was) portable wet tile saw that had no obstructions on the surface (sides, front or back) and it worked just fine for all my cuts and it wasn't too expensive (just around $170 - and it wasn't the cheapest, either). . . and pretty much what you do is just push-feed the tile through 'til you get the the end. It's finicky, once you figure out *exactly* what pressure to apply and how to get the precise cut then you're ready to go - so there's always some learning curve.

I used a rule and a permanent market to mark my line - the water and saw blade would take off the marker and the porcelain itself was resistant to it so it was easy to clean off with a bit of scrubbing.

It wouldn't hurt to buy one if you're doing an entire project with diagonal (if your QEP won't work) - just see if the attachments that fit to the surface are removable (which they usually are). You'll use it more than you know - I didn't have any luck scoring and hand-cracking any porcelain tiles at all - I cut through over 50 cases of tile and never had the blade wear down, either.

But since you already have wet-saw whey not figure out what you need to do to just use it? Does it have an overhead leader bar or something that's in the way? You said it's motor is under-mount - so that's not interfering with a continuous feed . . . what is?

I found that the hardest thing for me to get the hang of was how to drill large holes for pipes into the tile - that cracked through more tile than anything else did.

If you still need to buy one - one option would be to go to a used tool supplier (flea market or pawn shop) and pick one up for cheap. However - you risk it not lasting thoruhg your project like my miter saw.

Last edited by Snav; 10-21-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use a good blade and feed the tile slowly. Especially at the end of the diagonal cut. Too fast and the piece will pop off.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote