Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #1

Share |

Slate over existing floor?

I have a rental unit town home that was built in 2005. The kitchen area has some sort of vinyl flooring. I'm interested in putting some slate in that area. The current floor is in great condition, just doing some updating to it and wondering if I have to rip up the existing vinyl or can I lay the slate over the top? It is about 200sq ft. Thanks!
t-rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Slate over existing floor?

a slate floor needs a subfloor with minimal deflection. 1 1/8" minumum plywood below the slate. This must be checked out first. But the vinyl and the luan underlayment below it must be removed.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote