Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
DIY girl

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Hi! I have prepared shower walls with Kerdi. Can I use SimpleMat over the Kerdi for setting the tiles. Will it stick to the Kerdi? Thanks from a newbie.

sandywelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Tileguy

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Why on earth? No you can not!! You MUST use real thinset mortar which only comes in a bag.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-14-2013), sandywelch (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

LOL! Thank you Jaz. I'm a "girl" and didn't want to "get dirty" with the thinset. ROFL I was afraid of that answer, but suspected as much. Do I still need to use unmodified for setting the tile, or can I use modified? Thanks again

Last edited by sandywelch; 04-14-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Goofed
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Okay, so I used the unmodified applying the Kerdi, do I still need to use unmodified for the tiles over the Kerdi, or can I use modified?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 108

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Two things. Really should have just added this question onto your old post, and both should have been posted in the tile forum.
sandywelch (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

So since the kerdi required the unmodified for putting up, does it also require unmodified for setting the tiles, or can I use modified? Sorry, I am SUCH a newbie--but undaunted!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Tileguy

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Sandy,

Schluter requires unmodified thinset to set all tiles over Kerdi, even porcelain tiles. But get a good one, not a cheapo from the apron places. What did you use to install the Kerdi?

Tell us more about this project. Is this a real wall-in shower, what's happening with the floor of the shower? Got pics?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
sandywelch (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

U answered just in time :-) I was just pulling into Home Depot to return the simplemat and pick up some unmodified. By apron store would you mean Home Depot? I have a couple dedicated tile places I can use if need be. I'll explain the project when I'm not using my phone. Thanks again!!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Tileguy

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Sandy,

Home Depot would be the worst place to buy unmodified thinset. Unless you're in Canada, they only carry Custom Blend. Most of us tile guys think it's just a small step above dirt. (and the price shows that).

Of course not knowing where you are, keeps us from researching what brands are available to you. You should enter your location as Joe promotes.

What brands can you get? Your' first choice would be Ditraset, but there are other good ones.

Jaz

sandywelch (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

I'm on the north shore of Oahu, but I usually have to go to Honolulu for things. I will check at lowe's since they carry lots of schluter and since the dedicated stores are closed on Sundays. Since the kerdi was applied with custom lens unmodified am I to expect particular problems?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Tileguy

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Your Lowes should carry Mapei products. They also carry one that we think is dirt, their Keraflor isn't much better. Try to find a real tile shop and call them asking which unmodified they stock. Get specific names.

Now, being that you're on Oahu's north shore, and I missed that area when I was there many years ago, (to see the big waves), are you sure you don't need someone with experience to show you how?

Jaz

sandywelch (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Absolutely! But only if you can be here this week! LOL! Give us a buzz tho next time you're out. Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Tileguy

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

OK, will do.

The critical part of a shower is the floor and the curb. If this is a walk-in, we can go over a few things if you'd like.

Jaz

sandywelch (04-14-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

OK Jaz, I'm back from Honolulu HD and Lowes. Yes, Lowes did not have the Ditraset, as you predicted. So tomorrow I shall call the two tile specific places I know and inquire as to product names and will post them to you when I get them.

You asked about the project (you'll be sorry!!!) It's a re-do of a roll-in shower we built to be accessible for our 2 sons' wheelchairs. We are both DIY-ers with some strengths and some weaknesses. The first shower REALLY showed off our weaknesses! After watching a lot of Mike Holmes' and Scott McGilvray's re-dos on HGTV we could see a lot of the things we had done wrong that led to the poor product. Finally a confluence of events (a leaking roof in the rainy season and a leaking pipe in the shower) convinced us that this was a great opportunity to tear it out and do it over--better (hopefully).

The nice thing is that my hubby had done a great job on the pan with a heavy duty rubber barrier and a good cement job. So we took out the original drain and replaced it with the kerri adaptor drain kit and then kerdi-ed (is that a verb???) the entire space.

We are going to tile the walls in a running bond subway-style pattern with 12x24 calacatta porcelain tile from Lowes (hopefully more forgiving of my mistakes than the white octagons with bright red center dots that I used in the first bathroom ). The floor will be a black and white 12x12 basket weave mosaic ceramic tile. I am not worried about the floor. But since we used Home Depot's CustomBlend unmodified thinset to attach the kerdi to the walls and since the tiles for the walls are so large are we risking the kerri peeling off under the weight of the tile?

P.s. the waves are going to be getting smaller and flatter--plan for Nov thru March for the most awesome waves!
Aloha!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
DIY girl

SimpleMat over Kerdi?

Okey dokey--- available thinsets are:
Laticrete 317
Durabond D-5 Premium
Durabond D-20 Porcelain Set

Which do you recommend for my porcelain, JazMan?
Aloha!