Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shower tiling question

Hi,

When you have an exterior wall in your shower and you plan on using kerdi membrane over the cement board do you eliminate any faced part of the insulation of poly sheeting over studs on the exterior wall?

detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Tileguy

Shower tiling question

Tiger fan,

I think if you're tiling and Kerding all the way to the ceiling, it's a good idea to just slash the vapor barrier of the insulation. Never use poly or tarpaper on the studs when you're applying a surface waterproofing product such as Kerdi, matters not if it's an inside or outside wall.

Good plan to go with Kerdi waterproofing, are you also tiling the shower floor and using a Kerdi Drain?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Shower tiling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Tiger fan,

I think if you're tiling and Kerding all the way to the ceiling, it's a good idea to just slash the vapor barrier of the insulation. Never use poly or tarpaper on the studs when you're applying a surface waterproofing product such as Kerdi, matters not if it's an inside or outside wall.

Good plan to go with Kerdi waterproofing, are you also tiling the shower floor and using a Kerdi Drain?

Jaz
Yes now what about if i use kerdi on the shower ceiling should I still keep that kraft faced batts that are there now?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Tileguy

Shower tiling question

I would do the same. Slash the paper.

Is this a steam shower? Do you really think you need it on the ceiling?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

Shower tiling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I would do the same. Slash the paper.

Is this a steam shower? Do you really think you need it on the ceiling?

Jaz
Well leaving drywall on the ceiling in a shower is that smart?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Tileguy

Shower tiling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroittigerfan
Well leaving drywall on the ceiling in a shower is that smart?
In many situations it's alright, but I'd tile the ceiling too especially if there's a drop in the doorway that might hinder steam from escaping. It also depends on how the shower is used. Do you have and use the exhaust fan? If you have teenage girls, Kerdi and tile everything. And make sure you run the fan for at least 10-15 minutes after you're finished.

As you know by my signature line, I like and use Kerdi all the time. Schluter recommends applying Kerdi to about the height of the shower head, for standard showers. But, the more the better. Personally I'm not crazy about installing Kerdi overhead. You might consider a liquid membrane for the ceiling.

The Kerdi system is fantastic, but its best feature is the Kerdi Drain and how the bottom is built. That is why I asked about how the floor is being built.

Jaz

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

Shower tiling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroittigerfan View Post
Hi,

When you have an exterior wall in your shower and you plan on using kerdi membrane over the cement board do you eliminate any faced part of the insulation of poly sheeting over studs on the exterior wall?
No, (above grade) use it if required by building department. Slashing a vapor barrier does next to nothing, slashing an air barrier is a biggie; read paragraph below Photo 6; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1
The vapor barrier should run to bottom of drywall under the tub, as required by code. This protects the wall below the tub cavity space from moisture- especially needed if any holes to crawlspace/basement. With cement board between two vapor barriers, no worries, unlike wood framing between two vb's, dreaded "vapor barrier sandwich".

You are in Zone 5; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...state=Michigan

That requires a Class 1, or 2, depending on wall perms; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...commendations/

Please describe the wall make-up....

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 10-09-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added matrl.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote