Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

Share |

Shower Tile Question

Hello, My name is Deborah and I don't do DIY anything.

I need some advice. My shower stall is set for tile...right now it has Durarock with the seams covered with thinset...no tile yet. The drain and shower pan...and all that is installed, the tile is the last stage.

I was told by my friend (the installer) that he thinks I can use my shower once the Thinset is dry...he said it's just concrete...It is going to be days before he can get back to finish the tile, and I really could use a shower, I hate sponge bathing.

I'm afraid to mess up his work, and delay the finished shower. Is it okay to use my shower with nothing but concrete and thinset...no tiles?

WattsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #2

Shower Tile Question

Showers are supposed to be waterproof before tile goes in, so theoretically you should be able to use it.

In practice, there are a couple problems. Although tile with grout is not technically a waterproof application, it still does deter water from getting through to a certain extent. If there is any leak at all in your shower in the current state, water will go through, whereas after tiling, it might not (depends on where the leak is). It depends on how good a job the shower builder did.

Second, you don't really want to get anything gunky like conditioner or a bunch of soap building in the nooks and crannies of the cement board. It could harbor mold underneath your tile later.

So other than practical issues, yes you can use a shower before it's tiled.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
STAFF

Shower Tile Question

Do like we did, cover the Durarock with plastic, we used a cheap plastic tarp, it worked great for us and nothing got wet.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

Shower Tile Question

Not on the floor though, or you might slip and break a hip.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Shower Tile Question

I live in Illinois. Thank you! You folks made me feel more confident...I used my shower. It was at a perfect pitch not noticeable but left no puddles, the new glass block window also has a ledge (slightly pitched) no puddles left there. It made a perfect shelf for shampoo and liquid soap. The built in seat allowed for water drain off, and also had no puddles. My builder friend did a great job.

I was very carful with shampoo and soap, and after my shower (short one) I rinsed everything down real good, so no residue would be left (I hope) to cause problems later. Thank you for that tip, I wouldn't of thought of it. Nothing leaked at all. It dried up really fast as well.

The tile should go down next week...Thank you again for your help. I will be keeping this site on my favorites, it's like handy man heaven here.
WattsD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WattsD For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-27-2013), oh'mike (07-27-2013)