DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

shower rebuild - need help with backer board & green board

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ben's plumbing 
#1 ·
hello DIY!

i dont want to go into full detail on the reason for this, will cause me to :furious: and start :censored:.

so lets focus on what I need to do to be able to use my master bathroom again.

i have a few images below that will help explain some. *yes, i know the builder of this house is a complete moron*

I will have the remainder of the shower dismantled in the next week or two. from there, I see a couple special quirks that I need to approach before hanging the barrier or the first sheet of backer board.

the images include the builders remedy to re-position a wall 1/2".
*notice the edge of the tub.

Remedy the builder used
wall studs, green board, white board, glue and then tile. This was done to get the wall to where the "lip" or front edge of the tub would meet the tile in the correct location.

the other wall appears to have the tile directly on top the green board. *either way, white board or green board will be removed and replaced with backer board.*

lets get a few things out of the way here.
- mold removal will be completed via company with a dry ice blaster.
- testing of the walls for mold spores will be completed afterward and no construction will begin until a "clean and clear of mold" cert is issued for the bathroom.

Construction
I'm thinking the wall can be extended using 2"x3/4" boards running horizontally across the vertical wall studs.
from there, the plastic barrier on the wall and then the backer board.

I can cut down 2"x4" on a table saw and cut to the length needed.

Does anyone here have another thought on the best way to align the backer board and tile to the tub?

TIA!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.