Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

Share |

Shower re-tile

Hi everyone.

Iím a fairly new homeowner (6 months) and Iím running into my first ďemergencyĒ project. I can say that itís not truly an emergency, but itís more that itís the first project that I havenít planned to do, but seems to have jumped up at me. Please pardon the long winded story, you can skip down a couple of paragraphs if you donít want the background. Pictures are at the bottom.

Background:
Over the weekend I was doing some deep cleaning of the bathroom (our only shower). I had also planned on resealing where the tub meets the tile, as it looked a little old.
After scrubbing the tub, I decided to wait until next weekend to reseal. My wife took a shower while I was dealing with some stuff in the basement. About 10 minutes in, I found a puddle on the kitchen floor. Checking the access panel behind the shower, none of the pipes were leaking. On closer inspection, it seems that the scrubbing had loosened some of the sealer and water was coming down the walls and going straight behind the tub. It doesnít look like this was the first time this has happened. I decided that I would scrape out the sealer last night and let it dry so I could reseal today. While pulling the sealer, about half a dozen tiles just fell off the wall. All along the bottom row.
The house was built in 1964, and from what I can tell, they just tiled on drywall, there is no backer board. The area behind the tiles that fell out seems damp, and kind of rotted.
Itís my opinion that it would be best just to pull down everything and redo the shower surround with a cement backer board and new tile.

Questions:

The tile that is in the shower goes all the way around the room. It seems to be in decent shape (other than whatís in the shower). My questions on this are:
1.) Should I leave the existing non-shower tile? If so, How do I junction from the new tile in the shower to the existing tile? (I know itís not going to match perfectly)
2.) If the existing tile should go, is it required in a bathroom to at least partially tile the walls? Or can I use a moisture resistant drywall product and just prime and paint?

The ceiling of the shower is currently tiled. I feel fairly confident about tiling the walls (Iíve done a couple of floors), but honestly the ceiling makes me a little nervous.
1.) Does the ceiling need to be done? Itís like a 7 foot ceiling, so water mist does splash up there a bit.
2.) If it doesnít, what would I do up there? Cement board? Drywall?
3.) If it does, can anyone give some pointers on making sure I donít kill someone with falling tiles?

Lastly, weíve got a baby on the way, and Iím hoping to take this opportunity to swap out the existing old Hot/Cold faucets with a scald safe one. Does anyone have recommendations on that? I believe the hardware that is in there now is Gerber.

Am I out of my mind? Should I just try to get a pro to do all this? Any ballpark ideas of what the cost would be?

Thanks so much for any info/feedback that people will give.

Andy

AJPLeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
DIY staff

Shower re-tile

After 55 years or so it is time for a gut job----you will find that to be the easiest in the long run---

Cut above the wall tile and remove all of the tile and wall board--

Then replace as much of the outdated plumbing as possible---

Use tile backer in the shower area and waterproof it with a paint on membrane (or sheet membrane if you prefer)

Tiling the ceiling is a decorative feature and is not necessary--

Regular drywall is fine if painted properly---

As to cost? This is not possible---we have no way to know the extent of plumbing required or the level of finish you will be using.

Complete gut and re-do? For me, two men for two weeks---

Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

Shower re-tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
After 55 years or so it is time for a gut job----you will find that to be the easiest in the long run---

Cut above the wall tile and remove all of the tile and wall board--

Then replace as much of the outdated plumbing as possible---

Use tile backer in the shower area and waterproof it with a paint on membrane (or sheet membrane if you prefer)

Tiling the ceiling is a decorative feature and is not necessary--

Regular drywall is fine if painted properly---

As to cost? This is not possible---we have no way to know the extent of plumbing required or the level of finish you will be using.

Complete gut and re-do? For me, two men for two weeks---
Thanks Mike. Did I mention we have a baby due in 10 weeks?

You're more or less confirming the stuff that I suspected. If I had some spare vacation time, i'd probably just take the time so I could focus. You should see the vanity. The sink is triangular shaped (It's SO ugly). I would like to take the whole room down to the studs and redo it all, but I think I'm just going to have to do the shower at this point, given the time and budget constraints that I have.

Thanks again for your input. It looks like there was another person asking very similar questions, I've been reading up on those posts as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

Shower re-tile

Another question

If I don't tile the ceiling, how high above the shower head should I go?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
DIY staff

Shower re-tile

Typically seven feet from the floor---it costs no more to tile to the ceiling--the cap tiles are expensive----
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

Shower re-tile

You do not need to tile anywhere outside your shower.

You also don't have to tile up to the shower head. Millions of showers have paint above tile that goes to just below the shower head, and it's painted above that. In fact, very close to where your tiles change color.

If you're happy with the current 2-tone tile job, then you have a pretty natural cutoff point there. Take out the lighter tile in the shower. Replace the drywall with new drywall and cover with Kerdi. Retile over that. Your higher tile and ceiling tile will probably be OK unless you have some reason to suspect it's not.

Last edited by jeffnc; 07-25-2013 at 08:03 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

Shower re-tile

I'm not happy with the existing tile. I've got the tile removed all the way up to the ceiling. All that's left is the ceiling. Honestly I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with that, because I can't remove the drywall until I handle the 16" of loose fill insulation that is sitting above it.

Has anyone worked with this product at all? I searched and didn't see anyone mentioning it on this forum.
http://www.intrafoam.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=194

It's a bit cheaper than the Redi Tile.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

Shower re-tile

Not that specific one, but those things in general work fine.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote