Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Shower pan/tile against concrete wall

Have posted the question in one other forum with no answer, and I hope I just need to rephrase and post here.
I've already put down (and properly sloped) the first layer of my below-grade shower pan, and now I'm ready to lay down the poly membrane. I have my plan for the framed walls, but haven't found any advice on how to proceed with the concrete wall.
My plan was to put the tile directly on the concrete, but obviously, I'm going to have trouble when I try to get the tile to stick to the shower membrane.
Do I need to anchor tile backer to the entire wall, or is there a better solution?
Hoping to do this today, so any input is of great value.
Thanks a million.

mgray87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,444

Quote:
My plan was to put the tile directly on the concrete, but obviously, I'm going to have trouble when I try to get the tile to stick to the shower membrane.
You can not apply tile directly to the membrane. What type of drain did you use?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You can not apply tile directly to the membrane.
Thank you, Tileguy, for not offering a solution (but re-stating my own conclusion as if I were not aware of it ), and then going ahead and asking a question anyway.

Just in case anybody else finds themselves in this circumstance, here's what I ended up doing: I ended up framing the concrete wall and putting up tile backer.

Quote:
What type of drain did you use?
I used a standard 2" PVC tile drain.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Tileguy

If you already have all the answers then WTF are doing here? Prick.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
If you already have all the answers then WTF are doing here? Prick.
I apparently have more answers than a self-proclaimed "Tileguy" who can only offer me another question
What am I doing here? I am seeking answers, and am happy to answer questions, but if you're going to insult my question, I'd like an answer first.

Last edited by mgray87; 08-04-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Could have been interpreted as insulting the DIY Chatroom...Not the intent.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Tileguy

Home Depot sells lots of books and they contain lots of pictures - go buy a book. What you are trying to do is at the very least an unconventional method that requires some modifications but of course you know that already. What you have now is a faux pa arising out of half-cocked ideas that has now stumped the genius in you. Now you want someone that you obviously view as below you to solve your problem for you. No thanks, go buy a book. There is more than one simple solution to this problem but you just haven't discovered them as yet. You will, give it time. In the meantime, buy a book look at the pretty pictures and dream of what could be. If you weren't such an ass.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
All trades carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

Bud was trying to get more info out of you so he could answer your questions to the fullest extent. It is too bad you popped off because pro advise usually comes with a $$$$ after it.
CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Home Depot sells lots of books and they contain lots of pictures - go buy a book.
Yes, the pictures are pretty, but more importantly, I have a good understanding the text. Unfortunately, none of those I own address the specifics of my situation, which, in part answers your question as to WTF I'm doing here.

Quote:
What you are trying to do is at the very least an unconventional method that requires some modifications but of course you know that already.
Now I do, because someone actually answered my question instead of repeating what I had already said.

Quote:
What you have now is a faux pa arising out of half-cocked ideas that has now stumped the genius in you.
The word is faux pas.

Quote:
Now you want someone...to solve your problem for you.
No, no, no...I asked for some input. What I got, I interpreted to be a paraphrase of my dilemma, "You can not apply tile directly to the membrane." My initial response was "No sh1t, Sherlock." but I decided to soften it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
Bud was trying to get more info out of you so he could answer your questions to the fullest extent...
I certainly questioned the relevance of what kind of drain I used to the solution of sealing and constructing the back wall of my shower. If it was relevant, then I shouldn't have expressed my frustration and responded the way I did, and I offer Bud my humble apology.

Quote:
There is more than one simple solution to this problem
Yep. I now am aware of at least two, and the project is moving along nicely.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Tileguy

People come here asking questions about their projects with all levels of knowledge. We have no way of knowing what that level is. Some people are geniuses such as yourself that really don't need this place and would never admit to their friends that they had been here, and some people can't turn a magazine page without someone helping them. At first you appeared to be the latter with your "pan-liner on the block wall stupidity" but I see now that isn't the case. I see now you really had no friggin' idea what you were doing. Hence my question about the floor drain. Where I was going with that was relevant at the time until you publicly showed your arrogance.

Quote:
The word is faux pas.
Faux pas, faux pas, faux pas, OK, I think Ihave it now thank you professor.

Quote:
Yep. I now am aware of at least two, and the project is moving along nicely.
Yow well...your a liar, I doubt you are progressing at all, but good luck with your project, glad I could get blood back into your brain.

Next time try:
http://www.tileyourworld.com
That place is right up your alley. It is full of know it all people that think very highly of themselves, you'll fit in nicely over there.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Yow well...your a liar, I doubt you are progressing at all, but good luck with your project, glad I could get blood back into your brain.
Project pics are up. I'm proud of it so there will be more as I go.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #11

Finished pics are up. Thanks!
http://www.diychatroom.com/members/m...s-shower12.jpg