Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Share |

Shower pan against drywall?

I may have been misinformed so am trying to work out a solution...

The new bathroom is drywalled and I was going to put kerdi membrane against it for waterproofing. Trouble is that the shower pan I have has a lip against the back edge that apparently was supposed to sit under the drywall so that the tile would overlap it.

I'm pretty far along and don't want to rip out the drywall at this stage. Any suggestions for finishing this without compromising the waterproof integrity of the shower?

Alternately, Could I put a 1/4" hardiboard backer directly on top of the drywall to shim it out over top of the shower pan lip? Then install the kerdi over that?

S.

Last edited by sharp21; 07-30-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Additional info
sharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
DIY staff

Post a picture----you need to get the pan against the studs----with the tile backer above the pan flange.

Overlaying a backer on top of your drywall is a poor plan---how would you finish that edge?

What about your mixer valve? Will the handles work with the extra wall thickness?

It's drywall---cut out what you need and do this the right way---

Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #3

Sounds like if the drywall is overlapping the pan flange, then the pan must be up against the studs.

The easiest thing to do it cut back the drywall an inch or so, and "gluing" the Kerdi to the pan flange. Schluter recommends KerdiFix of course, but others work. I use NP1. I've heard SikaFlex is similar.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

The pan is not against the studs.

I'm going to butt the pan against the wall and score a line. I'll knock out the lower piece of drywall.

Thanks for the tip on the SikaFlex
S.
sharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

yeah just cut the drywall at the top of the shower pan flange and then when you install the kerdi have it drape over it, that's what I did and filled that gap with thinset behind the kerdi.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower pan against drywall?-img_4729.jpg   Shower pan against drywall?-img_4750.jpg   Shower pan against drywall?-img_4955.jpg  
bova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bova80 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-01-2013)