Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shower Niche help...

Hey forum. I am hoping someone can help me. I got my shower tiling done and now tackling my shower niche. My question is, has anyone on here ever tiled a niche that is willing to help or give advice on the proper way to do it? I did the brick pattern. I would like to follow the pattern so the grout lines match with the rest of the wall. I hope I explained it right. I bought the shower niche at Lowes. Thanks for any help or advice and your time. Thanks again...Ray...

fatboy1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

Shower Niche help...

I've done a few----is ther any way you could post a picture?

I usually build my own and water proof them myself---I need to know what the niche is made of --how you have tiled the walls without addressing the niche---

How is this waterproofed and tied into the wall?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

Shower Niche help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy1729 View Post
Hey forum. I am hoping someone can help me. I got my shower tiling done and now tackling my shower niche. My question is, has anyone on here ever tiled a niche that is willing to help or give advice on the proper way to do it? I did the brick pattern. I would like to follow the pattern so the grout lines match with the rest of the wall. I hope I explained it right. I bought the shower niche at Lowes. Thanks for any help or advice and your time. Thanks again...Ray...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I've done a few----is ther any way you could post a picture?

I usually build my own and water proof them myself---I need to know what the niche is made of --how you have tiled the walls without addressing the niche---

How is this waterproofed and tied into the wall?
Hello Oh Mike. thanks for replying. I am not at the site now for a picture. I bought the shower niche at Lowes and its called a Redi Niche and comes ready for tiling. It fells like a heavy plastic. The niche fit perfectly between the studs in the shower studs. I put silicone around the niche before installing it. Also siliconed the screws.Yes i did my tiling without addressing the niche. What I did was I tiled around it but continued to follow the pattern. I didn't touch the niche with any tiles. I can continue to follow the pattern in throughout the niche but do not know how to do so. Thanks again...Ray...
fatboy1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

Shower Niche help...

Hey FB,
just curious, did the redi niche come with any instructions? Sounds like it could be from tile-redi. If it is, you should be using two part epoxy thinset for that. If it's the one I'm thinking of, its black, feels like slick abs plastic. If you search 'tile redi shower' on this site, you'll find plenty of reading on it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
fatboy1729 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

Shower Niche help...

You need to get us some pictures----

Depending on the layout---you may need bullnose around the lead edge---or a picture frame of bullnose around the opening---

Do check on the setting material----Mike Hawkins has some experience with that brand of products---