Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shower floor - tear out or proceed.

Had the genius idea of remodeling my bathroom two years ago, long story short I have half the bathroom tiled, new toilet working well and the walk in shower has two partially tiled walls but I'm afraid I may have screwed myself with the shower floor.

After reading about the miracle powers of redguard, I decided to go ahead without a shower liner and resurfaced my bathroom studs with hardibacker.

I've taped and grouted the hardibacker. I poured and sloped the concrete floor, installed the drain, and put about four heavy coats of redguard on everything - looks like I've performed Santaria rituals in there.

Now I'm having second thoughts on whether to just go ahead and finish tiling the shower floor and walls, or do I need something else like Kerdi first?

Is the liberal coating of redguard enough to keep everything water tight?

I really want to finish this darn thing and get on with my life.

thanks in advance.

custrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Tileguy

Well......the makers of Redgard say you can do such a thing but truthfully I wouldn't dare depend on a liquid waterproofing to protect a shower receptor. A liner is a much better way to protect your shower structure from leaks. Even the slightest little movement could easily tear the Redgard and cause a subsurface crack and in turn a leak.

The walls, and waterproofing them, is one thing, the floor is an entirely different matter.

How will you attach the floor drain to the Redgard? What type of floor drain have you installed?

Quote:
Now I'm having second thoughts
...and well you should.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Tileguy

I agree with Bud. After reviewing the instructions again, I would not trust it to be watertight. I recommend the Kerdi membrane with the Kerdi drain.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #4

Eesh...Flash-forward a moment to the time when you have your 4 (!) layers of RedGuard on a surface that was originally flat and true. Now does that even remotely look like a surface you want to tile onto? Seems to me it would be as wavy and uneven as icing on a cake no matter how diligently you tried to put it on...

Fast forward again...you go ahead and apply thinset under your tiles...geez, now my tiles are all different heights and won't stay even with each other. A bit more thinset here a bit less there...

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote