Shower Floor Pre Pitch - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Shower floor pre pitch

I'm remodeling a bathroom and wondering if a "pre pitch" is absolutely necessary. Here are the details. Bathroom is in ground level (no basement). Concrete subfloor. I've framed the new shower and also used self leveling concrete to level the room. Now, I'm wondering if it's necessary to do a pre pitch, then place the shower liner and do another pitch. Can't I just put the liner down and do one pitch to the drain? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

ofcjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 30

Shower floor pre pitch

A pre-pitch allows water that seeps past the tile and final slope to be directed into the weeping holes of the drain. So yes, it's necessary to do two pitches if you want the job done right. Make sure you add some gravel around the weeping holes to prevent the mortar from clogging them.

Advertisement

Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Shower floor pre pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjosh View Post
I'm remodeling a bathroom and wondering if a "pre pitch" is absolutely necessary. Here are the details. Bathroom is in ground level (no basement). Concrete subfloor. I've framed the new shower and also used self leveling concrete to level the room. Now, I'm wondering if it's necessary to do a pre pitch, then place the shower liner and do another pitch. Can't I just put the liner down and do one pitch to the drain? Thanks in advance.
Yes it is necessary.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,604

Shower floor pre pitch

ofcjosh-- Please only start one thread of the same topic/question.

I moved your original question to the tile board- but listen to Bud- he'll do you right...
Old 11-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Tileguy

Shower floor pre pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjosh View Post
Assuming you are using the correct "clamping drain" you wouldn't want to overlook the pre-slope. It is most important as explained in Post #2 above.

Your tile shower floor will not and will never be waterproof as far as the tile and concrete is concerned. It is the vinyl pan that makes the system waterproof. Sloping the pan keeps water from accumulating on top of the pan and becoming stagnate and stinky in a short time. Using the proper "clamping-flange shower floor drain" is a must. When installed properly this style drain uses integral weep channels to take water that gets through the floor straight to the drain via the sloping vinyl pan.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

Shower floor pre pitch

As already stated, you should do two slopes when building a shower using the old traditional method. However you can use the Kerdi method which requires only a single slope.

It's a system using the Kerdi fabric or tray and the Kerdi Drain. I think it's superior to the old method.

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Shower floor pre pitch-img_7834.jpg   Shower floor pre pitch-img_7835.jpg   Shower floor pre pitch-img_7836.jpg   Shower floor pre pitch-img_7838.jpg   Shower floor pre pitch-img_7837.jpg  

Shower floor pre pitch-img_7840.jpg  

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Tileguy

Shower floor pre pitch

I too would recommend using the Schluter Systems Shower Kit and save a bunch of time and hard work over doing it the old fashion way.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 638

Shower floor pre pitch

i would have chosen a linear drain, but that aside, i dont have any specific answer.
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,500

Shower floor pre pitch

JazMan showed the single pitch, but it gets even better with Kerdi. You don't have to do any of that work at all if you use Kerdi's premade (presloped obviously) pan. It comes with their shower kit. Then you don't have to make any slopes at all.

You get rid of the second slope because you tile directly to Kerdi - you can't tile to a regular shower liner and that's the only reason you need that second layer of mortar. You get rid of the first slope because the Kerdi pan is premade.

So just out of curiosity, why did you build that one yourself JazMan?
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 30

Shower floor pre pitch

I've never used the Kerdi system because of the cost. I didn't realize you could buy the materials separately until I saw Jaz's post. The cost of the Styrofoam parts are ridiculous so I see why you made your own.

This seems like the perfect solution to repair a leaking existing pan. Is there any reason you couldn't knock the old tile out keeping the slope and old liner. Then install the Kerdi drain and fabric over that? It seems a heck of a lot easier than replacing it the traditional way.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,500

Shower floor pre pitch

That might work, but getting the old drain out and the new one to fit might be an issue. Schluter makes some kind of conversion drain, I've seen, but haven't used it.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote