Shower Floor Grout Prob. - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
MEH

Rewards Points: 10

Shower Floor Grout Prob.

I read a ton of posts but just need some clarification.

Our shower is just over a year old, we have some small chunks of Grout coming up from the floor. The tile is slate, and the grout used was sanded, dry mix. (not the pre-mixed stuff). Grout level 3.

There was also a sealant (3 coats put on top of the floor).

I understand from other post, if grout is cracking it is due to movement, and what is behind. The construction of the floor was a pan, concrete, thin set, and the tiles. 1/8" grout.

We have multiple shower heads/body sprays installed. However, the grout issue appears to only be where one of the main shower head sprays on the floor.

I will say, we paid a fortune for this shower, and had a 'professional' install it....I read in some post, you get bad work, because the owner is cheap, or tries to do thing that are not in code, etc. Not the case here. We paid for it to be done right, no doubt.

Is the issue that Sanded grout was used instead of Unsanded (read that in a post)????

It's a small problem right now, but I don't want it to be a huge one. Any thought or ideas would be incredible!

Advertisement

MEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Shower Floor Grout Prob.

The sanded grout is not the issue. What you are experiencing is very likely "grout erosion" from the spray and body-drips I think. Seen it many many times. Typically it is caused because the grout is a little weak. This is usually caused by over-watering the grout when mixing it at the time of installation.

Call the installer and see if he is willing to redo the floor grout.

Advertisement

MEH (11-06-2010)

Tags
floor , grout , shower , slate , tile