Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Shower celing material?

Can I use regular drywall for a shower celing? Or what?

Thanks,

Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Shower celing material?

no way!

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #3

Shower celing material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
no way!

Then what? Im going to use the blue GP Densguard for the walls and assumed the ceiling would be OK with drywall as it wouldn't get wet. The Densguard is too rough of a surface to paint (unless you like the texture look). Lowes doesn't carry greenboard anymore.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shower celing material?

Regular drywall on a shower ceiling is fine in most cases, it's actually better than the green board most people used to use on ceilings. But, why not just tile it too?

If you're staying with some exposed wall and painted ceiling, I recommend using a paint called "Perma-White" by Zinsser. http://zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35

The blue stuff from Lowes in a shower eh? Well, could be worse. What adhesive did you buy? How you gonna build the floor? Is the floor being tiled too or are you using a molded base?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #5

Shower celing material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Regular drywall on a shower ceiling is fine in most cases, it's actually better than the green board most people used to use on ceilings. But, why not just tile it too?

If you're staying with some exposed wall and painted ceiling, I recommend using a paint called "Perma-White" by Zinsser. http://zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35

The blue stuff from Lowes in a shower eh? Well, could be worse. What adhesive did you buy? How you gonna build the floor? Is the floor being tiled too or are you using a molded base?

Jaz
Thank you. I'm not sure why drywall would be better than greenboard, and you don't seem to like the DensGuard, but I appreacite the response. I will have a custom masonry shower pan... I had a guy lined up to do it for $300 but he got busy now and is not returning my phone calls. I think before I pay $600 to have it done Id try to do it myself.

I have the drywall celing piece cut but not mounted yet - I did apply Zinsser 123 primer to both sides and the edges & will check out the Perma-white for the finish coat.

As for tiling the celing - basically Im too cowardly... this shower will be the first tiling job Ive ever done - Im building a bathroom in the basement using the contractor roughed in positions for sink, shower & toilet. It's 5x9 with at 5x3 shower at the end. I'm still undecided about how much of the 5x6 bath area (excluding the shower area) I will tile. For the shower area I think I will tile up about six feet.

I plant to heat 20 sq foot of the main 30 sq foot bath area with a Suntouch heat mat over 1/4" cork on a concrete floor.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shower celing material?

Part of the answer to your original question about drywall vs greenboard is affected by proper ventilation and therefore the question arises: are you going to have a fan in there, and what size?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

Shower celing material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Part of the answer to your original question about drywall vs greenboard is affected by proper ventilation and therefore the question arises: are you going to have a fan in there, and what size?
Yes, Im not intentionaly cutting any corners on this project... I have a 50cfm ultra quiet Panasonic fan/light on an EFI light switch/fan delay timer that will run the fan 20 minutes after the lights are turned off whether the shower is used or not. There is also a vapor-proof can light in the 3x5 shower area.

After a friend pointed out that the ultra quiet fan would not mask gross "bathroom sounds" - I used that as an excuse to add a 19" flat panel TV with a niche in the wall for the remote right next to the toilet.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Tileguy

Shower celing material?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #9

Shower celing material?

Quote:

Old 08-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
Tileguy

Shower celing material?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #11

Shower celing material?

Quote:
And that means what exactly?
You don't like the drywall idea - not even with ventalation fan and a primed and sealed drywall panel? Can you verbalize reasons or suggest a substitute?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
Tileguy

Shower celing material?

The main reason regular drywall is better on the ceiling than GB is that GB is supposed to the installed on joists that are 12" o.c. not the typical 16" or even 24". The ceiling will not get wet, just some condensation for a short time while the shower is in use. When properly primed/sealed and painted, you should not have problems. Where proper ventilation is not provided or in the case of high humidity, the Perma White paint should do the trick.

My main concern with that type of backer is how you are supposed to do the interface between the wall and the deck mud. Have you studied the sketch? You are not supposed to bury the board into the floor mud. You build the floor, up to and over the curb, and the other lower parts of the walls with mud, then start the Densguard/Denshield above that. Go look at the sketch in the Densheild installation manual. http://gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4684

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 08-03-2009 at 12:53 AM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #13

Shower celing material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
The main reason regular drywall is better on the ceiling than GB is that GB is supposed to the installed on joists that are 12" o.c. not the typical 16" or even 24". The ceiling will not get wet, just some condensation for a short time while the shower is in use. When properly primed/sealed and painted, you should not have problems. Where proper ventilation is not provided or in the case of high humidity, the Perma White paint should do the trick.

My main concern with that type of backer is how you are supposed to do the interface between the wall and the deck mud. Have you studied the sketch? You are not supposed to bury the board into the floor mud. You build the floor, up to and over the curb, and the other lower parts of the walls with mud, then start the Densguard/Denshield above that. Go look at the sketch in the Densheild installation manual. http://gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4684

Jaz
Right, Id planned to leave the denshield 1/4 above the deck mud. And I plan to paint/seal the cut edge of the Deshield to prevent wicking - and then caulk the joint. Does that sound like the best way to do it?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #14

Shower celing material?

My last 2 houses have had drywall ceiling
Matter of fact every Apt has had drywall ceilings too
I take long hot showers & in the winter I don't use the fan much
I never had a problem at my last house (wood & gas hot air heat - fairly dry)
Never a problem here either, I also heat with wood in the fireplace a lot

Use a good ceiling paint with mold & mildew preventer

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote