Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #1

Share |

Should I seal my shower tile grout?

I used honed marble tiles fro my shower...should I seal the grout? I used the mapei premixed grout. I don't want to get the sealer on my tile though but I guess I can just wipe it off.

what do you think?

Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

seal the grout. seal it twice

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Tile / Stone Contractor

WHOA!

You used pre-mixed grout? That's not a correct product choice for showers. In fact, I'm sure it says on the bucket not to use it in wet areas.

If you try to put sealer on that it will probably re-emulsify and look like it's melting. Since it's pre-mixed you DO NOT want to try to seal it.

It is supposed to be stain-resistant anyway. Course it's suppose to be as good as cementious grout too - it's neither.
TileArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Tileguy

ALL natural stone tiles should be sealed prior to any grouting. Premixed grout can not be sealed. TileArt is correct, premixed grouts should never be used in a shower. Take a close look and see if the grout has wicked into the edges of your tile and stained them.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #5

nope the stuff says "Stain resistant, interior, for ceramic, porcelain and stone tiles. For floors, walls, countertops and wet areas" I checked it now and checked it before I bought it. My tiles are already pre-sealed...you know those marble tiles that look like they have a sheet of glass over them.

?????

what should I have used? i know non sanded grout but I couldn't find anything but this stuff for wet areas.

Edit: No staining at all.

Last edited by Limit54; 12-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Tileguy

...is the grout still soft when you poke it with something?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #7

no the grout is hard like stone
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Tileguy

You say the honed marble tiles are already sealed, they came that way. I don't understand what you mean. In any case you should be sealing the tiles not the acrylic grout.

BTW, which pre-mixed grout did you use? I know it's Mapei but I believe they may make more than one.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #9

Jaz I'm not sure about the tiles. All i know is that they have a shiny finish to them and I'm pretty sure they don't need to be sealed. They look like that marble you can buy at home depot for thresholds(in between doorways). Maybe i'm using the wrong term honed then.

The grout is just called pre-mixed grout?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Tileguy

The marble you have is "polished" not honed. The manufacturing process at some point would have included honing your tile but what you have is referred to as polished. Honed marble would not be shiny even tho at some time in its life it was honed on its way to being polished.

Polished marble tile should be sealed in my opinion. It may not absorb a sealer readily because the pores have been filled and refined during the polishing process but that doesn't mean the tiles where in fact sealed unless they are labeled as such and you paid for pre-sealed tile. If you did you would know it. If it isn't labeled as being "sealed" it's not sealed as far as I know no matter what some salesman has told you.

The grout you used has a name. It says more on the label than just "pre-mixed grout". MAN...it's like pulling teeth around here trying to get the necessary information it takes to offer someone a skilled professional informed answer to their question.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #11

Ah, Bud... what has changed your mind about sealing polished marbles?

There are still a significant number of well-versed stone restoration professionals who will tell you that polished marble stone tiles will not absorb a sealer at all - not because they were 'previously sealed' and so labelled at the factory or a shop somewhere, but because they were ground to such a high extent that, physically, absorption of anything is impossible. The succesive grinding phases performed at the factories increase the surface tension of calcite-bearing marbles to the extent that even fluorochemical sealers (the ones with the lowest surface tension we know of) will bead up on the stones surface like water droplets on a freashly-waxed car hood.

Now not all marbles behave like that; calcite marbles only and to a lesser extent the silicate-based marbles too. But true polished marble won't t take a sealer.

I say nothing about 'selling' a sealing job...but I don't expect that's a game many stone people can afford to play.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Tileguy

All of the above can be true with some "granites". Marble, not so much in my experience.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Tileguy

I agree, those facts apply to granite which is much denser. I believe polished marble should be polished as the polishing process creates microscopic pores. This is the main reason you are warned to pre-seal marble before grouting.

The same phenomenon happens when porcelain is polished. Unpolished porcelain is more stain resistant than polished porcelain and again we are warned to seal polished porcelain tiles.

Don't be fooled by the lack of visual absorbency of sealer on these stone tiles. Only a very small amount is required to fill the microscopic pores, as you can image.

In any case, sealing polished marble will not hurt even if it doesn't help much, not all stone are the same.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I agree, those facts apply to granite which is much denser. I believe polished marble should be polished as the polishing process creates microscopic pores. This is the main reason you are warned to pre-seal marble before grouting.

In any case, sealing polished marble will not hurt even if it doesn't help much, not all stone are the same.

Jaz
Do you mean to say, JazMan, that you too believe polished marble should be sealed? I'd ask your basis for that statement but I am afraid that you willl say something like: "better safe than sorry". In other words anything for a sale. Hope I am wrong...

The fact is that the polishing processes for granite and marbles are somewhat similar but the effect on the surface of the marbles is 'chemical' in nature as opposed to the effect on granite. Polishing marbles with a hot polish create a chemically different compound than was there originally, a compound that has a very different set of characteristics than the pure marble itself. Not so in granite...

This compound on polished pure calcite-baseed marbles has a surface tension that few if any other componds, like sealers, can penetrate. And for a visualisation of this, please refer back to my analogy of the water droplet on the polished car hood. Now think of that water droplet as your 'sealer'...the difference in the surface tension between the liquid and the surface is so vast that the surface energy does not allow the sealer to spread and penetrate. That's assuming you start off with a flurorochemical sealer in the first place...forget it if you even think about silicones. Nothing will happen, except:

You will 'seal' all polished marbles because everyone else says to do it and you'll charge the customer for it. Trouble is that sealer will now dry on the surface and create a haze that people often refer to on this bb. Is a hazy surface the way you sign your name to a job?
Shame on you.

This is not an opinion I am sprouting here - it's a matter of scientific fact; it doesn't have anything to do with commercial success nor making money, just the hard physical evidence; and until someone comes up with sufficient evidence that this is hogwash, I'll stick with that.

I do however subscribe to the pre-grouting sealing of polished marble tiles - but not the top (which has a polished surface)...edges only! And porcelain is not in any way equivalent or similar to stone, so don't try to make a correlation, please.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
ask me how I know

if you have a question as to if your tile is sealed or not, then do the water test, that is what we tell everyone that askes if a sealer will penetrate...take a glass of water and pour it on your tile, if it soaks in that will tell you if it is not sealed, it will also tell you if it will take a sealer without a haze

groutonce is offline   Reply With Quote