Should I Kerdi Or Not? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should I Kerdi or not?

Hi everyone. I'm a reasonably experienced weekend warrior and have tackled many home improvement / renovation projects but I'm new to these forums and I have a question. I'm upgrading a very old master ensuite and I've recently installed and drywalled a new larger tub where an old smaller used to be. Before I tackle the tiling around the shower I was wondering if it's a MUST DO to install waterproofing membrane (ie. Kerdi) before I tile?

Thanks for your input.

Advertisement

BigMan926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Should I Kerdi or not?

It's not a MUST DO...I think it's more important for showers with a tiled floor...

That being said, the stuff is pretty awesome when applied correctly. Make sure you use unmodified thinset (no latex) additive if you use kerdi, I believe on both sides of the membrane. And soak the wall with water before you do it (though this is more important for concrete board).

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Should I Kerdi or not?

If you drywalled a wet area then I would consider Kerdi a must do. If you used cement backerboard then I'd say it is an option, but some sort of waterproofing layer between the board and the tile is a must. Redguard is a cheaper option, but not on drywall. Drywall under tile in wet areas is a code violation in many, many areas nowadays, for good reason. Kerdi can be applied over drywall and will render it as waterproof as a frog's butt. Without Kerdi your only option is removal of the drywall and re-hanging the wall with wonderboard/durarock, then application of Redguard or similar paint-on waterproofer.

If you hang tile straight to drywall in a shower/tub area, you're guaranteed to have to re-do the job within a few years. Not to mention the moisture in the wall.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Should I Kerdi or not?

Yeah, I agree with thekctermite. I wasnt thinking about it not being concrete board...

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Should I Kerdi or not?

Thanks for all your feedback...I'm convinced...Kerdi is a MUST do.
BigMan926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiling , tiling tub surround