Self Sticking Tiles - Wall Application - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

self sticking tiles - wall application

I attached self sticking vinyl tiles over what looks like vinyl wallpaper on 1 bathroom wall. They fell off within a few hours. How can I make them stay up? (contact cement will not allow the slight adjustment...)
I washed the wall with TSP. Would light sanding and priming solve this problem? A strong quick setting glue seems like the best idea but I don't know of one that would work? Again, this is a wall application so they need to adhere quickly.

Advertisement

peter_d_holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

Why did you use floor tiles on the wall? Self stick floor tiles have a glue that stays tacky. They need gravity and foot traffic to make them bond. They're not stikin vertically.

Plus going over wallpaper or the like, is not such a good idea. You need to remove the paper and all the adhesive, then re-think what to install there. Definitely not peel & stick floor tiles.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
peter_d_holmes (03-13-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Wouldn't the massive amounts of moisture/humidity in a bathroom cause problems as well?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
Wouldn't the massive amounts of moisture/humidity in a bathroom cause problems as well?
It's a half bath, no tube or shower so no high humidity.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Tileguy

Humidity has nothing to do with this problem. You'd have to get them to stick first.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

[quote=JazMan;608424]Humidity has nothing to do with this problem. You'd have to get them to stick first.
True, humidity has nothing to do with it. It was the person who responded who suggested high humidity might cause a problem. (down the road I assume he meant.)

I just finished removing the vinyl wall paper, unfortunately there is one more layer under that one and so far nether hot water or steam has been able to wet it. Once I it get that layer off and clean the wall, I plan on painting on a coat of Weld O Bond, then testing to see what will hold the tiles on permanently.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Tileguy

You may need to use a "paper tiger" to help remove the paper. Once that's gone along with all glue residue you're good.

I doubt Weld O Bond is gonna help you any. It appears to be more for cementitious applications as a bonding agent. It's not a bonder though, it's not glue.

If you still want to apply those tiles vertically, you will need to apply adhesive to the wall too. You need something that dries such as sheet vinyl adhesive or cove base adhesive. Pressure sensitive adhesive will not work.

Jaz

Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Since you insist on making this installation you can go and buy a small tub of contact adhesive that is used for standard VCT floor tile. Guarantee that will hold them on the walls.

May be a little messy getting the adhesive on a wall but once that hurdle has past the tile WILL STICK.

Quote:
(contact cement will not allow the slight adjustment...)
Why would you need any adjustment? The tiles are easy enough to place in the correct position the first time around. Set the tile's edge exactly where you want it then plop the sucker on the wall.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_d_holmes View Post
It was the person who responded who suggested high humidity might cause a problem. (down the road I assume he meant.)
I didn't know it was a half-bath at the time....
Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Since you insist on making this installation you can go and buy a small tub of contact adhesive that is used for standard VCT floor tile. Guarantee that will hold them on the walls.

May be a little messy getting the adhesive on a wall but once that hurdle has past the tile WILL STICK.

Why would you need any adjustment? The tiles are easy enough to place in the correct position the first time around. Set the tile's edge exactly where you want it then plop the sucker on the wall.
Yup, contact cement... I picked up some water based the other day... It's not as strong, but there is no weight to these tiles, and I know I'll get some on the front surface while applying. Thanks for helping out.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
You may need to use a "paper tiger" to help remove the paper. Once that's gone along with all glue residue you're good.

I doubt Weld O Bond is gonna help you any. It appears to be more for cementitious applications as a bonding agent. It's not a bonder though, it's not glue.

If you still want to apply those tiles vertically, you will need to apply adhesive to the wall too. You need something that dries such as sheet vinyl adhesive or cove base adhesive. Pressure sensitive adhesive will not work.

Jaz
Hadn't thought of cove base adhesive. Does it have the instant tacking power to hold the tiles in place until it tries? If so, I like that idea better than contact cement.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Tileguy

Cove base adhesive will hold right away, it's fairly thick. That is what is used when setting vct on stair risers as an example.

The adhesive for vinyl tile is not contact cement. Contact cement is what is used to bond plastic laminates for counter tops etc. You apply to both surfaces, let dry until it doesn't transfer when touched. Then let both surfaces to make "contact" & walla........ it's stuck and you can't easily move it. You never use that for floor or wall tiles.

Jaz

Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #13

Thanks, I like the cove base glue idea. I'll pickup some tomorrow and let you know later how it worked... Thanks again for you help and ideas.

Advertisement