Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Share |

self leveler

Hi..we have been working on our spare bathroom, and have replaced the subfloor(3/4" plywood and 5/8" plywood on top of that) now my question..the floor is not level, its approx 1/2" low along the wall and there is a slight peak along the vanity. Can i bed hardiboard with thinset and screws, then come back after thinset dries and pour leveler ontop of the hardiboard? Will be using 12x12 ceramic tiles..also on the slight peak..its at a seam, and is actually under the kickboard of the vanity..could i just build that up with thinset before setting hardiboard?

Thanks in advance..
catmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

self leveler

If you're going to be using self-leveling concrete, I'm pretty sure you're going to want it UNDER the backer-board.

Your better bet would be to do the leveling with your plywood sub-floor.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Tileguy

self leveler

You don't need backerboard when using self leveller. The self leveller takes the place of the backerboard.

If you were to use both for some odd reason...the backerboard would have to be installed first and then the SLC.

Be careful taking advice you get here. Verify verify verify before you do anything.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 12-19-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

self leveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You don't need backerboard when using self leveller. The self leveller takes the place of the backerboard.

If you were to use both for some odd reason...the backerboard would have to be installed first and then the SLC.

Be careful taking advice you get here. Verify verify verify before you do anything.

Thanks for the reply Bud..i didnt know tile could layed right on the SLC is the reason i bought and installed the hardiboard. I didnt realize the floor was not flat, until i had already layed down the new subfloor..hence the reason i asked about using SLC over the hardiboard. I have since done some research, and went ahead and installed the hardiboard, taped the seams, and now waiting on the primer to dry so i can pour the SLC..hopefully it goes well

Thanks
catmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Tileguy

self leveler

OK, I was confused. So far you are in good shape and headed in the right direction. I will warn you to be absolutely sure you have any possible escape path for the SLC blocked totally. SLC is a great product but that stuff will find any path of egress that may exist no matter how small and it will go there. You should also use a foam weather strip or sill-seal on the walls to block the SLC from getting into the bottom plates of the wall structures and getting into voids that may exist under the plates.

Floor vents and toilet flanges must be blocked and doors dammed. Caulk under tubs to prevent escape and block between door jambs and rough openings as required.

Another problem is with Hardi being the more absorbent of all the backerboards. A second coat of primer may be in order. You don't want the Hardi sucking up the moisture in the SLC prematurely and causing the SLC to flash-over too soon.

You also may have to help the SLC flow into the corners.

For anyone else contemplating this same process know that the SLC is a perfect substrate material for laying tile. Backerboard is not required when using SLC.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote