Sealing Grout Time Frame - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

sealing grout time frame

Grout sealer can says not to seal for two weeks after install. Only bath in house,,,need stool down quickly as well as sink shower etc.

Do all of you wait the whole 2 weeks to put sealer on??? What happens if it is done sooner??? How much sooner is okay??

Is there ANY grout sealer that doesnt run like water???I would think a paste type sealant would be preferable.

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

sealing grout time frame

seems like a long time, but im no expert. I don't think ive ever waited that long. The grout is water based and the sealer is usually water based, so it should be fine. If it was an oil based sealer you would need to wait for ever bit of moisture to come out. Again, im not an expert on the subject

Advertisement

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

sealing grout time frame

Grout sealer is like water, might even be thinner than water. Most sealers say to let grout cure for 2 days, maybe a different brand for you? What do you have?

You can install the stool and use the shower after a couple days, seal later. It's actually good to damp-cure the installation for 3 days so the grout cures faster.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

sealing grout time frame

forgot name of sealer,,,sorry,,its a Mennards product,,thats ALL we have here , no other box stores. It is in a spray can and says has silicone in it if that makes any sense.

Did pick up other grout sealer and it does say 48 hours so we used that for critical covered areas cause we were placing sink vanity and stool.

Found old stool wont set on modern plastic flange. Old Mansfield 4 bolt john has 3/8 space between floor level and porcelain around outlet. plastic flange we put in measures almost a half,,,so when stool is set on with no wax ring it rocks on about 1/4 inch wobble,,,and guessing with new wax ring and rubber insert it would make the wobble 3/8 to 1/2 inch which just cant work,,,,what the hey???,,,never heard of such a thing,,,have you???

old pipe and flange was all gone when we picked it off,,and I needed to get rid of old shower cast connection anyway so converted all to sched.40 plastic,,, thinking much better, no problem now,,,not so!!!

What to do now????
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

sealing grout time frame

I generally don't much care for spray sealers since of all the problems with another brand making people sick. It was sold by the orange place and they kept selling it for the longest time even when they knew dozens of customers were hospitalized. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05253.html http://www.walkuplawoffice.com/CM/Wa...jury-Cases.asp

I used to use spray silicones on walls sometimes, easy and also polished the tiles. Overspray made floors and tubs slick though. Not a good thing.

From Menards site, I would recommend one of the Tec products, probably the Guard All Penetrating Sealer. Tec I trust.

Sorry you're havin trouble with the toilet. But hey, get a new one. I assume the new flange is set correctly.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote