Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: When to seal filled/honed travertine tile in bathroom (new installation)?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
When to seal filled/honed travertine tile in bathroom (new installation)?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sealant for travertine in bathroom (pre-installation)

We're installing honed/filled travertine tile in our guest bathroom on the floor and on the walls for the tub/shower combo. Should travertine be sealed and if so should it be done prior to installation, after installation but before grout, or after grout? If it is done before installation, should be back be sealed as well?

Thanks in advance for the advice...

imanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

here's what i found. with slate, you have to seal before grout or the grout just sticks in the cracks. i just did a travertine install two weeks ago and did not seal before grout or thinset. no residue what so ever was present but i also made sure not to let any dry on the tile. grout haze wiped right off and i sealed the floor with 511. sprayed it and let it set 15 minutes and wiped off.

so, in short, you probably could seal it twice but i found there was no need to until it was all complete.

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

Thanks racebum. I was worried because all we've done so far has been slate and we had the same issues as you mentioned. Good to know that travertine will be a little easier to work with. I do love the slate though...every tile is so unique...like art in the bathroom.
imanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Tile / Stone Contractor

Honed and filled travertine has no uneven surfaces in which grout will collect. So, unlike the slate, there really is no reason to pre-seal to make grouting easier or prevent it from sticking to the face of the tile.

There are exceptions to this. For instance, if you are using a very light travertine and choose a very dark grout you may want to pre-seal the travertine to keep the grout from staining the tile.

Do not ever seal the back of tile. It may prevent the thinset from getting a good grip on the tile and preventing a solid installation.

Last edited by TileArt; 10-12-2010 at 08:38 AM.
TileArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #5

After 25 years of installing tile and stone it's been my experience to seal ALL stone (Marble, travertine, slate, etc.) before and after grouting. This will eliminate all room for error regardless of grout color or stone texture. It's inexpensive insurance and it gives your stone protection BEFORE anyting has a chance to penetrate the surface. In some cases you may be able to get away with not sealing prior to grouting but why take a chance? The worst that could happen is that your honed filled Travertine gets an extra coat of sealer. Never seal the back side of the stone for proper adhesion. Hope this helps. Dean... Quality Tile, Inc.
Dean Skewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hey Dean,

Welcome to the forum. I figured you'd find us one day.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the warm welcome Jaz. This looks like a great forum. Looking forward to working with everyone.

Dean Skewes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, sealant, sealer, tile, travertine