Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Share |

Which Sealant for Tile Grout?

I have some glazed ceramic tile and some unsanded grout. This will be used to tile a floor.

I noticed online there is a membrane forming sealant, and a penetrating sealant. When I went to the store, I noticed there was gloss and unglossed sealant.

What type of sealant do I need to buy?

I will also seal my kitchen sink area. Will the same sealant work in the kitchen sink area and on the floor?

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees
I have some glazed ceramic tile and some unsanded grout. This will be used to tile a floor.

I noticed online there is a membrane forming sealant, and a penetrating sealant. When I went to the store, I noticed there was gloss and unglossed sealant.

What type of sealant do I need to buy?

I will also seal my kitchen sink area. Will the same sealant work in the kitchen sink area and on the floor?
Glazed ceramic tile doesn't require sealing.

Just get the unsanded grout sealer.

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Tileguy

Just in case the store is out of unsanded grout sealer, I recommend a good quality penetrating sealer. Penetrating sealers look like water and do not change the appearance of the tile or grout.

Gloss sealers are sometimes used on pavers and quarry tiles if a gloss is desired. It's like an acrylic wax which will have to be re applied often. I don't recommend it even on unglazed and definitely not for you.

Use the same sealer on the counter if it's food-safe and says it can be used on food preparation areas. You might have to drop a dime for learn that.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant