Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 504

Schluter kerdi system good?

I've had two neighbors recommend the schluter kerdi system for a shower stall that I want to remodel. One of them is a contractor. Have you guys used the kerdi system, and how did you like it? I hear it is expensive but saves tons of labor. Also, I heard tile needs a very stable base. The stuff feels like styrofoam, how is it stable?

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,496

I've been asking the same questions.....

There are several parts to the Kerdi system....the foam board is a recent addition....but you don't have to use it...best I can tell, that is only used on new installations....on an existing shower, you would just use the Kerdi paper on the walls..

Kerdi makes two types of shower 'pans', if you can call them that. You still need a mortar base...then the membrane goes on top of that....then you tile over it.

And Yep.....more expensive.....best I can tell...total cost to the client is about the same....you basically spend more on material and less on labor...

I'm still not sure which way I'm going.....I have 2 new showers to do....one of them is a very odd shape...no way a traditional shower pan will work.

You could always go hot mop....tired a true method

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Ddawg, you have me second guessing myself now, but I thought you use either a mortar bed OR the sloped Schluter foam shower tray. Then put the kerdi waterproofing membrane on top.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,092

Looks like Dawg has never done a Kerdi shower. I think it's one of the best ways to build a shower. The Kerdi Drain is the secret. I highly recommend using it or at least one that employs surface membrane instead of the old method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
You could always go hot mop....tired a true method
A typo of course, but may also be true. We never did hot-mop in this part of the country. It's a Southern California thing. That's a great method too, but you need to do a real mud-job over it, not concrete board or other thin set methods.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #5

Kerdi uses a tape of membrane pressed into thinset to seal joints, corners. It doesn't seem intuitively that it would work, one would think the water would just work in behind the tape, through the thinset. But maybe, since the tape is water proof, the gap behind the tape is too small for water to work its way through?
Possibly a great system. But since it will cost $500 minimum, not including the tile and thinset, would this be a good for a diy first time? Especially since if you mess up that is $500 down the tubes...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt
Kerdi uses a tape of membrane pressed into thinset to seal joints, corners.
There's no tape in Kerdi, where did you hear that nonsense? Tape refers to a narrow strip with sticky on the back, there is no such thing in a Kerdi system.

Quote:
It doesn't seem intuitively that it would work, one would think the water would just work in behind the tape, through the thinset.
Maybe you're one of those who thinks planes can't possibly get airborne!

Quote:
Possibly a great system. But since it will cost $500 minimum, not including the tile and thinset, would this be a good for a diy first time? Especially since if you mess up that is $500 down the tubes...
How on earth can you mess up the entire thing? There are several components. You do not have to use the foam base, although it's a great way for a DIY'er to get a nice slope in the floor. The average shower I build is about 4K - 6K if not too big with medium grade tiles, (not including demo).

You should evaluate the different methods of building showers and what you get for your money. For example, with a the old system you might need to hire a plumber and then you might still not get that part done right. (no pre-slope). Then you still should apply a surface membrane. Too much to get into it here. We can help with either method though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Looks like Dawg has never done a Kerdi shower. I think it's one of the best ways to build a shower. The Kerdi Drain is the secret. I highly recommend using it or at least one that employs surface membrane instead of the old method.

A typo of course, but may also be true. We never did hot-mop in this part of the country. It's a Southern California thing. That's a great method too, but you need to do a real mud-job over it, not concrete board or other thin set methods.

Jaz
You are correct, I have never done one.....nore have I done a hot mop.

Right now, given the shape of one of my showers, Kerdi looks like the best solution......if I want to do it myself.

I'm about a month away from having to make a solid decision.....

And, no, it was not a typo.....you caught my drift....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,022

I've had excellent results with Schluter products. Took some time for my local builders to try it but once they did they realized they could do the work themselves and get excellent results. Normally they would sub out the shower installation as most did not know how to do a traditional pan. like with anything if its not waterproofing you're asking for problems.

I recently had an elevated concrete deck that the client wanted covered with concrete pavers. I was familiar with the Kerdi waterproofing membrane but found they make a drainage membrane product that took care of how to drain moisture trapped between the waterproof membrane and the bottom of the pavers (freezing environment). I spec out their products on most of my projects.

Schluter has been in the states since the mid 80's having originated in Germany back in the 60's.

I would never attempt a traditional shower on my own for fear of getting something wrong. With the Schluter products I would not hesitate. Get their video.

JazMan knows of which he speaks .....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #9

I did not mean to suggest I know enough to judge the Kerdi product. I just said using that strip of membrane - not tape - to a newbie looks like a violation of waterproofing methods such as flashing, where everything above has to completely overlap what is underneath.
Many people have told me the system is great, and it is quite possible the chemistry/technology used is quite foolproof. I was kind of hoping to get ideas on why this odd technology works so well.
As for being a DIYer, I am a experienced DIYer, having remodeled a kitchen, etc. However I respect the power of inexperience to screw things up when doing a type of work for the first time, even if it is not difficult. That is why I haven't decided to go for the Kerdi system yet - even though it is a cool system.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Tileguy

Darsunt,

I don't understand why you think Kerdi membrane and the way it's seamed is "odd technology" to you. It's actually very simple and straight forward.

You can not compare this to the way shingles are over-lapped or flashed. Shingles are just nailed, Kerdi in over-lapped 2" and bonded with thinset mortar. The system will hold water. I can make Swiss cheese waterproof with a membrane over it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1014343...64201964645218

Jaz

Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,550

i did a kirdi show in my previous home, a condo, concrete floor. i used the membrane and drain. i built up thin layers of thinset to made the slope = my wife is disabled, so i had to make the shower floor as LOW as possible = the drain was floor height.

i then put the kirdi up. there is a learning curve to it.

i cannot find the finished shower pics, but i will keep looking
Attached Thumbnails
Schluter kerdi system good?-img_0778.jpg  

Last edited by Fix'n it; 08-04-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

found 1

Last edited by Fix'n it; 08-04-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
found 1
Not impressed.........NOT.....

Looks good dude.....real good......

I like how you did a different tile on the bottom vs sides.....very nice touch....

But I did notice that it looks like you moved the lower shelf from the left side to the right side in the final pic.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #14

the wall tiles are regular tiles. floor is travertin . curb, seat and shelves are granite = $130 for all. it has 2 shower heads with a diverter valve, so my wife didn't have to reach up to change it over (before this i sometimes forgot ). the door was a frameless, that i made from a $300 HD framed door. i put the shelves by the shower head, because the main water pipe ran through the show place. so i used the lower shelf and 45* tiles to cover it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
JOATMON

Confirm you used the Kerdi drain? Was it easier to figure out how to install once you had it in your hands.?

How did you attach the shelves?

(please forgive me for the thread hijack)

This is what one of my showers is going to look like.....not too different from what your doing....just a sligtly different shape....so you can see why I'm interested in how you attached the shelves.