Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Share |

replacing grout in bathtub

I need to re-grout the first level of tile in my bath/shower. That is to say, the line of grout between the bath tub and the first row of tiles. How long would it take an average DYIer? Would it take a professional 5-6 hours? That's how long I was quoted.

Thanks in advance.

Maikahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #2

see if you can't post a picture. 5-6hrs seems excessive for a bathtub regrout. i redid one of mine with an air die grinder, cut off wheel and some scraping in less than 3 hours start to finish. that was with a lunch break in the middle and really paying attention to detail. if you hire out the contractor could be counting drive time and or just not wanting to do a job that only nets a little over $100

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

My husband replaced the grout in our shower about 6 months ago. Just to be on the safe side we didn't use the shower for 24 hours before we took the grout out to make sure the shower was extra dry. It took him about an hour to remove and replace the grout for about 30 tiles. We then waited 48 hours for the grout to cure. We by no means are experts but it wasn't too hard and looked great when he was done.

Good luck!
Etomli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

After you take out the grout you should dry out the walls for a few days to make sure there is no moisture in the walls before putting in new gout. Preferably with a dehumidifier.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 05-21-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: removed advertising links
natcotroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Tileguy

Maikahi,

THAT juncture should NEVER be grouted! The tub/wall juncture should always be caulked.

To remove existing grout and recaulk is about 1-1/2 hours, total job.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

Ya just recaulking tub is simple. I thought they were talking about regrouting bottom row of tiles.
natcotroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #7

a lot of houses oddly have this grouted. when i first bought this place a few months ago and knew absolutely jack about tile i just re did it, then caulked over the grout. of course now i know that it isn't needed since tub flex will just crack it anyway but i wouldn't be surprised if this guy has a similar situation. some of my friends also have finished homes with grout at the tub.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Tileguy

Grouting tub/wall junctures isn't unusual. It's done all the time...and it fails all the time. Caulking on top of grout does nothing except spend money for caulk that doesn't need to be spent if the grout isn't going to be removed.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote