Replace 3 Tiles. Zero Experience. Little Nervous. - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replace 3 tiles. Zero experience. Little nervous.

Good day,

I mistakenly changed our cupboard layout, without considering the implications for our flooring.

We had our kitchen tiled when we moved in 7 years ago, and are now changing the cupboards. Our new cupboards have a corner unit that has the double hinged door. Our original corner cabinet was angled, with our sink it in. So, now we have a 16" x 16" triangle that needs tile.

I've removed the old tiles, and I have left over tiles from the original install.

I can't say for certain what all is down there for sub-floor. I believe it is 5/8 OSB with vinyl on top, with 1/2 plywood on top of that. We have had no problems with the original flooring, so I assume the sub-floor was sufficient (though barely I'm sure...).

When we pulled the old cabinets, there was vinyl under them... We have put down 1/2 plywood to bring it up to the same elevation as the rest of the room.

A few concerns,

1) when the new piece of plywood was cut, my helper didn't get the angle quite right, and there is up to a 1/2in gap (see photos).

2) the height isn't exact between the 3 pieces of plywood, up to a 1/16th at the worst.

3) when I removed the old tiles, I did my best to get all of the original flexbond off. Actually damaged the plywood in more than a few spots.

I have an unopened bag of flexbond that was bought for a job 4 years ago, and has sat on a shelf in the garage. Never got used.

Is flexbond the right product for this? It seems that is what was used under the tiles that I removed. (based on what I've read on here)

-So, does the gap need filled first? with plywood? or some other product?-would flexbond be suitable to fill that gap?

-Can flexbond overcome the height issue?

-Will the fact that I damaged the wood a bit be an issue? I assume the flexbond can fill that... And I guess that means I assume the flexbond will overcome the height issue.

-Does every little bit of the old flexbond need to be removed?

-I also need advice for what trowel I need?

These are 12" x 12" Eliane Ceramic tiles from HD.

I appreciate any other tips or advice. I have already spent a few hours reading through the forums, but probably missed a key tip here or there.

I know I should probably read a book or two before I attempt this, but I really need these installed quick, as I'm going to holding up the drywallers.

Thanks,
Kris

PS: I can't get my photos shrunk well enough... I will have to try to attach them in a couple hours after I've got the kids in bed.... Tips on posting or shrinking my 3-4mb photos are welcome.

Advertisement

BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

If the existing installation is holding up well then the floor must be stable enough for your repair---I haven't set tile over plywood in 20 years---however, it has been done--and successfully---so here you go---

First off--throw out the old bag of setting material---four years in a garage? It is junk.

Thinset can be used to fill the gaps and fill any low spots---use a good grade of modified thinset--the flexibond used before worked over wood--so consider using that---I would suggest Kerabond mixed with Keralastic--but the expence might not be needed---but I guarantee that it will work without fail over plywood---

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Throw out old thinset. Done!

I stopped by the Depot on the way back from dinner, picked up a fresh bag of flexibond, only real option locally.

Also, grabbed a 1/4 x 3/8 trowel. That should do the trick eh?

So, you think that the 1/2" wide by 1/2" deep by 18" long gap can be filled with thinset?
Not a normal gap, so I wasn't sure if I should stuff a slice of plywood in there although I likely wouldn't be able to screw it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace 3 tiles. Zero experience. Little nervous.-9674.jpg   Replace 3 tiles. Zero experience. Little nervous.-9675.jpg   Replace 3 tiles. Zero experience. Little nervous.-9688.jpg   Replace 3 tiles. Zero experience. Little nervous.-9692.jpg   Replace 3 tiles. Zero experience. Little nervous.-9694.jpg  

BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

You will be fine filling that with thinset as you tile---your trowel is a little small,so back butter the tile before setting into the thinset that you have spread onto the floor---
BigMonkey (07-27-2013)

Tags
flexbond , replace a tile , subfloor gap