Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

removing wall tiles for new cabinets

We ware getting new kitchen cabinets. Our wall behind the counter was tiled about four years ago and looks great. I need to remove the tiles just below the wall cabinets so they will not interfere with the installation of the new ones (which will be only slightly longer but will have a different profile on the wall).

I have plenty of spare tiles to replace the ones removed. I only will be removing tiles which were cut to fit the current cabinets. The uncut tiles have enough distance from the cabinets to be left alone.

The thinset was applied to painted wallboard.

Are the techniques or produces which would help me do this task and minimize damage to the wallboard?

Thank you in advance for any insights or advice.
measure thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #2

removing wall tiles for new cabinets

just finish'd our kitchen re-do & had the same problem,,, don't be surpris'd at some drywall repair,,, i usud a 4" grinder & .110 diamond blade to saw the cut line,,, dusty but you can get a dust muzzle from dustless technologies or joe due which'll hook up to your wet/dry vac & collect most of it,,, the other method's having the s/o hold the suck hose near the blade ( not as effective & can diminish relationships ),,, blade's cheap - rent grinder [ apron store ],,, might be a good time to invest in a dremel, too, but i couldn't persuade my bride she doesn't think tools're sensual

ps - no financial interest in either company,,, we're just happy users of 'em
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, wall tile