Removing Old 6" Tile And Replacing With 6" Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing old 6" Tile and Replacing with 6" tile

I have been searching and reading post's on this site and haven't found what I'm looking for.

So here I go, if I missed a post, or thread please just set up a link and I'll follow it.

I am planning on helping my sister replace a tile floor in her only bathroom. We also plan on doing the vanity and toilet. My only concern is taking up the old tile and getting the floor ready for the new tile. My concern comes in when trying to figure out what the underlayment is. She just bought the house a few years back and has done nothing like this to it. The tile down is just not what she wants, but it still looks good and no cracking, buckling or uneven tiles. We are hoping to get it done within two or three days.

If we get to a cement board like hardi back how would I remove ALL of the thinset ( if that is what the tiles are set in) and prepare the floor for new thinset?

If we find plywood should I just place hardi back over it with thin set between the plywood and hardi back?

We would rather not move the tub as it is at the end of the bathroom room and its not in the budget.

Thanks in Advance
Mikey B

Advertisement

Last edited by Mikey_B; 07-10-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Mikey_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Removing old 6" Tile and Replacing with 6" tile

Can't be done in a day.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote