Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Removal of mortar on shower wall

I recently put up a couple of rows of tile in my shower but removed it the next day as I disliked the work of the contractor and the look of the tile. How do I remove the mortar that is left on the shower wall to put up new tile? Any help would be appreciated!

Denise63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Will you be having a different installer do your tiles?? or are you going to try to do them yourself?? If a different installer, let them deal with it, but it will cost you. Removing the thinset is not easy and is messy and you can harm the tile backer. If a new installer comes in and gives you a price and they mess up, it is on them to replace the backer board.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Mickey is right.

If you are going to do it you self come back and let us know---we'll walk you through it.

A picture will help and let us know if you are experienced with power tools or more comfortable with hand tools.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #4

Thank you both for your responses. We do plan on doing the mortar removal ourselves and have limited knowledge of power tools and would prefer to use small hand tools. The old contractor said we could sand the mortar off however given his work we were not sure if this was the right advice. We want to grind it down to a smooth surface and place more flex tile waterproofing over the area we have smoothed out. What do you suggest as the wall surface is new and we do not want to replace it with more drywall if we do not have to. Help! Thank you!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
DIY staff

I'm confused--you mentioned drywall in the shower----that is not allowed anywhere in the U.S. that I know of.

Perhaps you meant cement board.

The fastest and cheapest method is to simply replace the backer board--at $9.00 a sheet it is cheaper than buying supplies to clean up the old work.

If you want this flat and smooth nothing will be faster and better than an angle grinder with a diamond cup.

Without that tool---simply scraping the walls with a sharpened painters tool and then sanding with 80 grit would work well.

A multi-tool with a scraper blade would speed things up --but not worth the expense if you don't already own one.

Please let me know about the backer board---drywall doesn't belong in a shower.--Mike--
Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #6

Hi Mike; thank you for your very helpful advice and we are allowed to use drywall here in Canada and ours is water resistant drywall however we have placed a rubberized membrane over it which prevents cracks and leaking. We have a small hand held sander at home and I am wondering if this could be used to sand the mortar off. We are planning on putting more of the rubberized membrane on where we will be sanding the surface down which will take care of any damage to the existing membrane that will occur when we sand the surface down. Thanks Mike.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
DIY staff

I say ,"Try it!."

Use the tools that you own first before you buy something unfamiliar. See how it works--If it fails move on to a more aggressive tool.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #8

Thanks Mike. We will give it a try!