RedGard Waterproofing - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

RedGard waterproofing

I have 13' x 13' ceramic tiles that I plan on installing over my cement bathroom & laundry room. Previously water leaked at the base of my toilet (from the toilet ring) and I was forced to strip my vinyl floor. Should I apply RedGard before the thinset mortar & tiles -- or is that overkill? Will it prevent damage against a leaking washing machine or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Advertisement

annyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 4,922

RedGard waterproofing

If you use a quality powdered modified thinset--no harm will be done by a leaking toilet or washing machine---I don't think that redguard on the concrete floor will offer you and benefit.

Advertisement

annyosh (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

RedGard waterproofing

Oh'mike, thank you so much for your valuable advice! Regarding the thinset -- does it have to be powdered or can I purchase a pre-mixed one? I've never done tiling before so figured my chances of screwing up would be decreased if I purchased the pre-mix. If the pre-mix is okay, Home Depot sells Simpleset & OmniGrip. The OmniGrip costs a little bit more but claims to "shrink up to 33% less than traditional adhesive". What are your thoughts on this? If powdered is best, what brand would you recommend? This whole experience is quite stressful so I really appreciate your time!!! Mahalo.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
DIY staff

RedGard waterproofing

Do not use the pre mixed--it is a mastic--and will dissolve and fail if it is exposed to moisture or water

The powdered stuff is a cement--no issues when it gets wet---The premix is a failure waiting to happen.

I could tell stories of failures I have seen---use the powdered modified--

"Mud" What Is It? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #5

RedGard waterproofing

Once again, thanks for your helpful advice & for the "mud" attachment. There's so many details involved every step of the way... Hopefully, I'll figure it all out & have this project done by the year 2013! Have a nice day!!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
DIY staff

RedGard waterproofing

You are welcome---
Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #7

RedGard waterproofing

How do I peripherally prevent water leakage between the tiles & drywall? I'll have wooden baseboards & a wooden threshold. Are there strips of vapor barrier that I can lay around the edge which continues a couple of inches up the wall? Again, am I being needlessly paranoid ? It's just that my washing machine leaked years before necessitating the removal of my vinyl tiles. Thought I solved the problem using a one piece vinyl sheet -- until my toilet leaked between the subfloor & vinyl. Thus, the present agony of attempting to install my ceramic tiles... Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,356

RedGard waterproofing

They make pans for washing machines to sit in with drains, there also is auto shut offs that will shut the water off if it sinces water.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

RedGard waterproofing

Thanks for enlightening me! Such a simple solution to a problem that has been a MAJOR headache. Feel a little stupid for not knowing about that... You've just made my tiling project a little easier cause every step has been terrifying for this novice. Have a great day!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
DIY staff

RedGard waterproofing

I have learned a lot by making mistakes--I bet Joe has too.

If we can make your job easier by sharing our knowledge--all the better----Mike---
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #11

RedGard waterproofing

Hey, thank you for your kind encouragement. It's a great relief to know that there's resource people out there willing to unselfishly share their knowledge -- I couldn't imagine attempting this scary project without the aid from y'all.

Advertisement