Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Facilities Maintenance

Share |

Recommendations for covering conduit, and somehow making it look "natural" with tile.

So far, we believe the conduit is decorative. (not kidding at all) but we don't know 100% just yet, so we are a bit hesitant to remove it.

That said, if we leave it in place, what are some ways some of you gents (or lady's) know in regards to making a small "frame" around the conduits, and then making that frame blend in as if it was "natural" so to speak?

Currently looking for NEC regs as to whether or not it is allowed to cover up conduit like that. So if there are wires in it, we will be figuring out where they lead, since there are no electrical assemblies in the shower, and the fan and lights are away from the shower. (which is why we believe it is purely decorative without any function, like a lot of wierd/random crap we are finding in this house)

That said, if it is decoration, what are materials you'd recommend for filling in the holes in the tile, and appear natural with the tile? Tile work is something I really don't do much of...

And there aren't really any building trades that deal with tiling that I know of, (at least none I can get much access too or find to speak to regarding it)

So what do you gents think?

speaking with one of the guys I'm working with (an Electrician) he's looking in his code book to see if you can cover them up. Reason why he needs to look it up, is because that stuff usually falls under a carpenters domain. Because as an Electrician, he just puts in the wires and lights and fixes screw ups. So we're activley looking for that info incase it actually is functional.

And no, they aren't water feeds. Because the water feeds go through the floor behind the shower, and then into the downstairs, then into the basement. We've already trailed all the main water leads.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #2

Recommendations for covering conduit, and somehow making it look "natural" with tile.

Yes it can be covered spend more time trying to figure out what's in them and where there going to be able to figure where to reroute them if there's wires inside.
The only to make those holes go away once the EMT removed is to remove and replace a tile.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #3

First figure out what it is-if it's wires, could be that whoever was too lazy to run them through the framing, this could be easier to correct than building a box for it.

The "box" would depend on how much space you wanted to take up. You could build a seat with a lid to cover it up, or shelving, hiding the conduit at that point. Paint grade or stain grade, or if its' a box you could always tile it.

If you remove the conduit I would think that to fix the tiles you'd have to remove the damaged ones and replace, otherwise it will just look like a cheap fix.

Looks like a can of worms if i've ever seen one
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
DIY staff

Feel those 'conduits' when the water is running to the tub---Looks like a hot and cold water line to me--

What ever it is--cover it with something --some kid (might be a kid as old as 90) will step on those and break them.

I suggest box work covered with matching stone---
gregzoll (12-27-2011), tcleve4911 (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Watch out Mike, he will tell you otherwise. Maybe he should stop watching so many Three Stooges shorts. Those also look like potable water to me. No where close to conduit, and regardless, if it was, it is okay to be out like that. This kid has way too much to learn, and should stop while he is ahead, and listen to the pros that do this all the time, along with those of us that are diyer's that have experience, instead of shooting off FUD.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Tileguy

Where are those pipes located exactly. What is the mat-looking thing on the floor below the pipes?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy01 View Post
So far, we believe the conduit is decorative.
Maybe... but no doubt it looks like someone went to some bother to make it look decorative

Quote:
That said, if we leave it in place, what are some ways some of you gents (or lady's) know in regards to making a small "frame" around the conduits, and then making that frame blend in as if it was "natural" so to speak?
You'll never get anything to "blend in" very well.

So rather than tilt at that windmill...
either let it be (my choice) or cover over it with a dissimilar material.
Some light gauge stainless steel bent into a chase would work well.

hth
Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Watch out Mike, he will tell you otherwise. .
This is a situation that needs MOD attention--Mike--
Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike

Why it went on all weekend.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Now I'm lost!!!
What does that mean?
I have read and re-read this thread and I must be missing something.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Bigguy's other thread, that this was split from.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Feel those 'conduits' when the water is running to the tub---Looks like a hot and cold water line to me--

What ever it is--cover it with something --some kid (might be a kid as old as 90) will step on those and break them.

I suggest box work covered with matching stone---
For some reason my other thread was closed?

And we did that earlier for the heck of it The tubes vibrate without the water on at all and turning the water on, made no change

We've cut open a 1/4'' chunk when it goes into the corner of the wall into the shower piece. It has two romex cables it looked like and then what looked like an ethernet (the old blue ones) cable you would hook up to a modem top had the romex bottom had ethernet cable

we are going to have to cut into the shower stalls tile and follow them which is something none of us wanted to be adding to the original job i hate stupid people

Sent from my Verizon Blackberry
Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
Facilities Maintenance

where the cables would come from downstairs lead into a closet we are taking the walls out now to find their source which so far we can't find any of the cables or wires in the closets cieling or side walls and we cannot find any ethernet cable ports its like the wire goes into one wall and literally disappears

going to be breaking into the tile and mini wall beside the shower and see if we can follow it that way

this is getting stupid

Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
DIY staff

I believe that you need to get a qualified electrician into that antique house--there are things going on there that are beyond the grasp of an inexperienced DIYer.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I believe that you need to get a qualified electrician into that antique house--there are things going on there that are beyond the grasp of an inexperienced DIYer.

we have an electrician with us that was hired by the new home owners i am helping until this coming tuesday when i return my school for another 6 months back for 2 weeks then gone for 6 months

this house is not an antique house its only 8 going on 9 years old sir this is getting stupid the general contractor we have in the basement is finding horizontal cracks in the houses foundation where the idiot put in the beams we have no idea how he did it but the entire houses structure may be comprimised which on that front we have a structural civil engineer coming in and engineer technicians to get data on the house to determine if we are chasing ghost wires in vein because we may have to take down this entire house anyway

which is going to result in mass lawsuits for the previous home owner

this is getting stupid i really hope diyers are paying attention this is crap that should have never needed to happen

Closed Thread