Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recessed Tile Back Splash

I am finishing up a kitchen remodel for my neighbor that involved a number of projects including removing a load bearing wall and re-arranging stove and refrigerator and cabinets. I am getting to finishing and have a question about the tile back splash I am planning to install. In order to save money my client wanted to do as little tile as possible so I decided to recess the tile,(cut out old sheet rock and installed 1/4" hardy backer) so the tile and wall surfaces are even with one another.
Here is the question. What is a good way to tie in the tile to the sheetrock?
My idea is to just grout between the wall and tile but the wall is not as straight as I would like, i can fix this if need be. BUT, I was thinking there might be a tile trim or something to make it look a little more fancy? Any ideas?

The line will only be visible at the end of the stove and the backsplash goes from roughly 24"s over the sink to 18 over the counter and then 14 above the stove between the microwave. ( Layout is going to be a little tricky to keep this looking good but keep in mind there are cabinets above and the tile will die into the granite countertop).

Last edited by NICOS4LESS; 06-25-2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Additional words, hmm.
NICOS4LESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Thinking something like this?

This way I may have 1/16th of an inch overlay if the wall is not EXATLY as straight as the tile....I guess I could build the sheetrock up with 20 min set up and sculpt out the perfect edge...My nose can not take much more dust though.

Last edited by NICOS4LESS; 06-25-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: More words silly why do you keep asking?
NICOS4LESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,138

Tile backer that is only 1/4" in thickness is not suitable for a wall application. Tile backer 1/4" is for floors only. Tile backer 1/2" is for use on walls. The metal edge you propose can then be used under the tile edge to give a finished look, or bullnose can be used to produce a finished look.

No cement board or tile backer product offers any structural assets.

Tags
kitchen tile, recessed tile backsplash, tile backsplash, tile pros