Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Share |

Rebuilt front porch--how to prep for tile

I recently rebuilt our covered front porch that had been destroyed by termites. The floor joists have been sistered, and the rim joist (doubled up 2x10) and new sill plate has been installed. I've used 15/32 tongue and groove ply to cover the porch. Our plan is to tile this. My thought is to use 1/4 inch hardibacker and then redguard to seal it (like I would do in a shower). I'd then flash the perimeter where the siding will meet the tile. Alternately I thought about using ditra.

Is this the best way to get ready for tile? Previously it was covered in concrete and mesh...eventually the water worked it's way through.

Here's a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuilt front porch--how to prep for tile-build1.jpg   Rebuilt front porch--how to prep for tile-build2.jpg   Rebuilt front porch--how to prep for tile-build3.jpg   Rebuilt front porch--how to prep for tile-build4.jpg  

jbrocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Tileguy

I'm not too crazy about how you've rebuilt this porch at all.

Start with that plywood. It's too thin. A single layer of 15/32 won't do, plus it's running in the wrong direction. What grade is it? It needs to be exposure 1 for outdoor use. What's the o.c. spacing of the new sisters?

Looks to me that sill plate might be subject to rotting in the future.

Hardie outdoor is not a good plan.

How are you going to flash the side walls? Flash with what? How much of a slope on the deck?

I recommend redoing the plywood and using Ditra with Kerdi Band on any seams and flashing Kerdi Band up the walls. Of course with Ditra (outdoors) you also need a real concrete backer over the new plywood. So, 5/8 or 3/4" ext. ply, then concrete backer, then Ditra.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #3

It's also going to be a clearance issue under that door opening.
There's no location in your profile, so no way to know what your local code calls for when it comes to how far the stoop needed to be below the threshold.
Snow areas commonly call for 6 to 7".
If the stoops to close to the threshold you will have water coming in under the threshold.
Also siding needs to be at least 6" above the stoop, I would have built and water proofed the sidewalls first with Storm and Ice Shield, then built the platform. A simple way to do the side walls is to start with a piece of 1X 6 PVC lumber, a strip of Z moulding, J moulding then start the siding.
You did have the exterminator shoot chemical down inside those bricks before building the stoop, right?
I also would have filled those hollow bricks or better yet replace the top ones with solid bricks.

Last edited by joecaption; 11-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I'm not too crazy about how you've rebuilt this porch at all.

Start with that plywood. It's too thin. A single layer of 15/32 won't do, plus it's running in the wrong direction. What grade is it? It needs to be exposure 1 for outdoor use. What's the o.c. spacing of the new sisters?

Looks to me that sill plate might be subject to rotting in the future.

Hardie outdoor is not a good plan.

How are you going to flash the side walls? Flash with what? How much of a slope on the deck?

I recommend redoing the plywood and using Ditra with Kerdi Band on any seams and flashing Kerdi Band up the walls. Of course with Ditra (outdoors) you also need a real concrete backer over the new plywood. So, 5/8 or 3/4" ext. ply, then concrete backer, then Ditra.

Jaz
It's actually 19/32 for the ply and the sisters are 16oc and exterior rated. It's sitting on pressure treated 2x6 sill.
I forgot to mention that this porch is above the basement root cellar and separate stoop butts up against this convered porch which is a 6inch step

I do have room to raise the new door upward when I replace it to fit the new tile.

Slope is about 1/4 per foot it's only about 3ft deep in total
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #5

Just my own personal opinion (not your fault) that whole design when they built the house that way was just a very bad idea.
If you look around on any DIY site you'll see other homes like that with a stoop build over the basement that all leak and have caused major damage like what your having.
I'd be considering adding a gable roof over that area to keep water away.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just my own personal opinion (not your fault) that whole design when they built the house that way was just a very bad idea.
If you look around on any DIY site you'll see other homes like that with a stoop build over the basement that all leak and have caused major damage like what your having.
I'd be considering adding a gable roof over that area to keep water away.
Yeah I probably should have mentioned it early on. We even thought about bringing the entry all the way to the front and eliminating it altogether, but that was cost prohibitive. I really just want to make sure I get it sealed up this time. I found membranes like noble deck that look promising.

It's funny you mention adding a gable. I posted the front porch over on houzz to get some ideas.... What you don't see in the pictures I posted here is the other roof pitch behind the porch. I think a third gable looks bad.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #7

Closing that area off would have been a great way to deal with it and could have given you a place to hang coats and shoes.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Closing that area off would have been a great way to deal with it and could have given you a place to hang coats and shoes.
Well.... That's where it gets awkward, there's already coat closet when you walk in the house. If we brought the entry out, we would have wanted to add sidelites to the new door. I did not want to try to match the brick to the sides of the entry way. Also with the sidelites added it wouldn't have left enough room for the closet to be there without it being in the line of sight for the sidelite.

That was probably very confusing but we gave it a lot of consideration
Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

I've thought about doing a roof similar to this that would cover the stoop in front of the porch, but in a darker metal
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #10

Not a great example but I get what your suggesting.
I went through a couple hundred pictures on Bing trying to post a better idea. No luck.