Re-grouting, What Grout/sealer Is The Best? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Re-grouting, what grout/sealer is the best?

I have about 200 sq ft of kitchen with white grout in itÖ at least it used to be white. Iím going to rip it out and replace it which seems straight forward enough.

My more pressing concern is using the right grout and sealer so I donít have to do this again anytime soon. I need something either with a good sealer in it or a good sealer that I can buy separately. I sealed the existing floor with the stuff at Lowes when we moved in and it was garbage.

Iíve read some good things about Spectra Lock Pro just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this kind of thing?

Advertisement

webweever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 81

Is the grout itself still in good shape and the only issue is the color? If that's the case, I've used grout dyes from groutdye.com with fantastic success. Cutting out grout is far from straight ahead. It's a royal pain. So again, if the grout is in otherwise good shape, clean it then dye it. Also, white grout is probably the worst choice of any color to use in a traffic area.

What kind of tile and grout size you use?

Advertisement

Last edited by Jb1234; 02-16-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Yes, we certainly regret the white grout choice.

Other than staining/color the grout is in great shape, the floor is only 2 years old.

I was wondering about the dye's, it just seems too easy. lol
webweever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 81

Ok then, stop what you are about to do! Lol. If the grout itself is in great shape leave it and dye it. The great thing with the product I posted above was you can change colors too. And to go from white to a darker color would be very easy if you would want to. We originally went with way too light of a tan grout in our kitchen floor and it didn't quite come out the color I was thinking it would be. So I used the grout dye. It colored very even, was very easy and has been very durable. I don't think all grout dye are the same and I can only recommend the one above. It was easy and dare I say somewhat fun. Cutting out grout is quite the opposite of fun. Ha.
Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Hi Web,

JB is right, although grout stains take time and are tedious, it's a much better choice than removing and regrouting with epoxy, or even cementitious grouts. I've never used his/her product, I've only used AquaMix brand. AquaMix is a well known brand of sealers and cleaners and was bought out by Custom Building Products which is the brand HD sells. Many grout companies make the same type of product. Research their propaganda.

With AquaMix, they claim you do not have to ever need to seal again, since it's a water-based epoxy. I'm sure all others say the same.

However remember, sealed grout does not keep it from getting dirty, it's just easier to clean. You may need to review your cleaning habits and methods. Many people stand and use a mop which takes the dirt from here and puts it there and they do not rinse. That's no way to clean.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Jb1234 (02-16-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,548

I usually use Grout Once, which is a sealer/additive (mixed with the grout instead of water) so I don't have to seal separately. Never had a callback with it, but also never used it in my own home so don't know how it lasts long term. Alternatively, use something like this
http://www.prosourcecenter.com/servl...XT-Next/Detail

If you're going to seal, I wouldn't use a water based sealant - I think they're basically lightweight. (Not talking about grout that those guys are talking about.)

If I were you, I'd try the grout dye first. It's so much easier than taking out the grout that even if you're not happy, you haven't lost much. But after cleaning and applying that stuff, I think you'll be happy.

Advertisement

Last edited by jeffnc; 02-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote